Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

How can I connect to a local network with no internet connection?

Jump to solution

I am currently without internet but I have plex on my laptop and roku. I would 100% be able to stream videos from my computer to my roku using only my local linksys router.

The problem is when i have roku connect to my network, it goes through two check boxes. One to check the wireless connection, one to check the internet connection. It fails the internet connection (as it should) but then it doesn't connect at all.

Desired behavior would be that it connects to at least my local wireless network.

I've done research, I tried the advanced menu and disabling pings it didn't work.

Is there any workaround to this? It's really unfortunate because I've been super happy thinking i could use plex locally with roku.

Only other solution i may try tonight is to see if i can turn my laptop into a router, and temporarily add my hotspot to my computer at the same time to see if i can trick the roku.

Please help!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: How can I connect to a local network with no internet connection?

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, there is no accepted workaround for a wireless connection. This has been bought up for several years, at least. You have the right idea to get it connected with a temporary wireless connection, but the SSID and password on the temporary connection must match the SSID and password on the "regular" connection or it won't auto-reconnect. If you can make the temp connection appear on your regular network, that should get your Roku linked. I've heard of users doing that in an RV for the same purpose. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, there is no accepted workaround for a wireless connection. This has been bought up for several years, at least. You have the right idea to get it connected with a temporary wireless connection, but the SSID and password on the temporary connection must match the SSID and password on the "regular" connection or it won't auto-reconnect. If you can make the temp connection appear on your regular network, that should get your Roku linked. I've heard of users doing that in an RV for the same purpose. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Well that is BS! (I have 4 Rokus of various types and ages). Obviously Roku does this by design. I know if the Rokus where previously connected to a network with a working internet gateway they will continue connecting to that network when the Inet gateway is no longer available (as I believe Dan points out). So either do not change the previously "working" saved SSID and password in the Roku or find a temporary Inet gateway to connect to and set a "working" saved SSID and password. I'm waiting for my wife to bring her Motorola phone to make a "hotspot" with my home network SSID and password (my Samsungs are all factory Verizon phones, not on Verizon contracts, hotspotting not natively available). This all stems from my 23 years war with Comcast. Please, someone, provide even an attempt at bringing a competing ISP to my area, I beg you! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

Not sure what your beef is with Comcast, but their current crop of hardware is actually pretty nice and they are only slightly overpriced around here.  Maybe whatever it was you didn't like 23 years ago is different now...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@lesmikesell

I should not have mentioned the unrelated root of my Roku problem, Comcast in this thread. It was bad etiquette on my part. But now I have to go there...

No doubt, Comcast has the fastest, most reliable internet service over that coaxial cable they acquired by hostile takeover of our local cable company ISP in ~1996. It's their horrible customer service, deceitful contract tactics and numerous lies straight to my face that have me at odds with them (yeah, it's a personal problem). Thanks for your response. It's more than I've ever received from Comcast in 23 years.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

I'd venture a guess that whoever offended you 23 years ago probably isn't there anymore, so they don't seem like the unreasonable ones here...    They are still like any big company in that the first several people you get on a support call won't be able to do anything complicated, but I think things are different now that they have a forum much like this one where failures to provide service can be brought up in public.  And they post rate cards for all their services (but can still bump the add-on fees).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

They've been offensive since day one. The final straw came after 12/3/19. Check out my letter if you want... 7/1/2020 Letter to Comcast

No response.... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

Your letter isn't shared - but it doesn't matter, there's nothing I can do personally.  However, I'd recommend posting your issue (politely) on either their own forums at https://forums.xfinity.com/ or the ones at dlsreports, https://forums.xfinity.com/.   It may take a few days but there are some higher-level techs that may be able to solve problems that phone support would have trouble with.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks @boostmg and @atc98092  for your posts and verifying that Roku won't make a new connection to a network without an internet gateway. The workaround works...

@lesmikesell, Thanks for your input. That link should be shared now.

Sorry for the unrelated Comcast rant. Hope everyone is well.

-Steve 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

Yeah, Comcast isn't good at handling anything unusual or one-off.  Fortunately in my area there is another vendor so you can switch back and forth if you want to stay on the promo deals.

0 Kudos