Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: How To Easily Turn Any Roku On Or Off Without Pulling It Out Of It’s Port All The Time

A Roku is NOT streaming anything on the home page. Yes, the ad might refresh itself occasionally, but that is no where near the data amount of a video stream. For YouTube, you can go into the settings and disable auto-play next video. But yes, don't fall asleep with something like Netflix or Amazon streaming a TV series, as they will auto-play the next episode. I don't think they do that with movies. If you just remember to always hit the Home button on the remote when you're done viewing, you will stop all streaming. 
Of course, if you truly want to stop any data use when you aren't using it, the smart power strip you found will work fine. Remember that you will have to wait for the Roku to boot each time you power the TV on, and that you won't get firmware or channel updates automatically with it completely powered off. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: How To Easily Turn Any Roku On Or Off Without Pulling It Out Of It’s Port All The Time

"DiddlyD" wrote:
Will keep that advice in my back pocket sounds promising but I did read on Watch Dogs that they have evidence of those devices ease dropping.  Google is infamous for collecting information on people.  That's why they created malware!  I'll check it does sound intriguing. 

Google gets data on people for the purpose of ads. They make money from ads. They don't share or sell your personal data, they just use analytics to determine which ads to display during your experience with their apps.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Any collection of "data" that has to do with invading my personal and private activities is spying and don't care hoot about their ad business if it's rooted in that kind of behavior that makes us objects for their gain. You can miniziae it my friend but that is why we have a protected right to privacy as US citizens and I'm not willing to let that get explored. 

On another note, I found the surge protector I installed yesterday worked perfectly in controlling Roku from eating up a mass amount of data. When I got up and turned the TV, Roku had to start up Yeah!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

"DiddlyD" wrote:
Any collection of "data" that has to do with invading my personal and private activities is spying and don't care hoot about their ad business if it's rooted in that kind of behavior that makes us objects for their gain. You can miniziae it my friend but that is why we have a protected right to privacy as US citizens and I'm not willing to let that get explored. 

On another note, I found the surge protector I installed yesterday worked perfectly in controlling Roku from eating up a mass amount of data. When I got up and turned the TV, Roku had to start up Yeah!

You'll use Google's free services but you won't let them decide which ads to display, so they can survive/thrive as a company. Without their business model you wouldn't enjoy most of the free things they offer.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

There is a difference between spyware monitoring my internet online activity which there are all sorts of things being sold to at least minimize those efforts verses now actually buying and installing spyware into the outlets of your home under false pretenses that will invade your privacy, family and lifestyle to gather data on your life that can be profiled in some data base connected to the internet like another facebook thing.  Then somewhere somehow this information will be compromised I promise you.   Cause one thing I know is once your information is out there it will be misused at some point as everything historically has been like in stealing identities and credit card fraud etc.  Well, that's enough said on that front, let's keep with the topic of this thread please.

Anyway, I just found this website that gives you the full break down on Roku's "Off" function.  It confirmed exactly my conclusion as well as how to solve the problem it creates of eating up your data because it doesn't have an off function.  BTW, it did mention using a surge protector as one  of the options to provide the off function, this was the method I personally chose to incorporated and I can confirm it does turn off the Roku.  When you turn the TV on, Roku boots up within seconds.  The only glitch per say I did find was I had to sign into HBOgo again, but that is worth it to control runaway data usage with Roku always being on. 
https://www.lifewire.com/turn-off-your-roku-4167636
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

"DiddlyD" wrote:
There is a difference between spyware monitoring my internet online activity which there are all sorts of things being sold to at least minimize those efforts verses now actually buying and installing spyware into the outlets of your home under false pretenses that will invade your privacy, family and lifestyle to gather data on your life that can be profiled in some data base connected to the internet like another facebook thing.  Then somewhere somehow this information will be compromised I promise you.   Cause one thing I know is once your information is out there it will be misused at some point as everything historically has been like in stealing identities and credit card fraud etc.  Well, that's enough said on that front, let's keep with the topic of this thread please.

Anyway, I just found this website that gives you the full break down on Roku's "Off" function.  It confirmed exactly my conclusion as well as how to solve the problem it creates of eating up your data because it doesn't have an off function.  BTW, it did mention using a surge protector as one  of the options to provide the off function, this was the method I personally chose to incorporated and I can confirm it does turn off the Roku.  When you turn the TV on, Roku boots up within seconds.  The only glitch per say I did find was I had to sign into HBOgo again, but that is worth it to control runaway data usage with Roku always being on. 

I've had multiple Rokus plugged in, always on, running in my house for years. There's no "runaway data usage". Roku has said, and independent testers here have confirmed, no substantial data usage happens when your Roku is at the home screen. Just background stuff, updates, and ad refreshes. But none of this is substantial compared to even streaming one show or movie. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

"mikebdoss" wrote:
"DiddlyD" wrote:

I've had multiple Rokus plugged in, always on, running in my house for years. There's no "runaway data usage". Roku has said, and independent testers here have confirmed, no substantial data usage happens when your Roku is at the home screen. Just background stuff, updates, and ad refreshes. But none of this is substantial compared to even streaming one show or movie. 
I don't think either of you are drifting off topic when it comes to questions about the devices possibly ease dropping on you.  I have had those concerns ever since I invited my first laptop into my home. 

I do believe that it's the choice of individuals about how much personal information is shared online.  I treat my past and present devices (no matter what functions they perform) the same way.  On when I am using them and Off when I'm not.  They are like an window to the outside (virtual or real) world.  People usually have some sort of covering over their windows based on personal  preferences & choices to keep some things in (privacy, safety) and other things out (prying eyes, harsh sunlight). 

Same thing with electronic devices in living spaces.   Right this minute as I write this,, all of my streaming devices are turned off (at a glance, I always know those little devices are on or off completely).  My television is one of the dumbest HMDI TV around, It is set for OTA antenna use only running as background noise, and not on any of the the 3 HMDI ports at this point in time-thus not using any data bandwidth at present.   I have a "dumb" older house where no one could trip the listening mode on any streaming, or any other type of, device unintentionally.  I keep  Alexa, Siri, Google. Mircosoft,  and the rest of those ghostly assistants out of my house as they are not welcomed here.  Once in the while, I use Roku's voice search to find something that's too complicated to type.  When I want to, not when the device dictates to me what it wants.

If I do choose to use something, I have enough sense to limit it's "run of my house" to bare minimal access.  Not just ticking off something in Settings not really assuring me if my privacy is respected or not.  Again, these little 6 dollar switches do just that for sure.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Older Roku plug in had an off feature.  Newer ones don't and as long as it is receiving power (plugged into an outlet) Roku is connected to the internet and can update etc which means you are still connected to the internet and you are using data period doesn'even in the home screen.  If you fell asleep watch Game of Thrones or House of Cards Series it will gobble up data because it auto plays the next show in the series. this doesn't take a a degree to figure this out  I attached a link that confirms this.  You can ask Roku and I'm sure they will disagree but the proof is in the pudding as they say.

The only way to insure you have shut down Roku is turn the power off to it.  If you have a smart TV with Roku already pre-installed it will shut off when you switch back to the TV side and the wifi is off.  When I installed the surge protector with the feature to control power to Ruko my usage of data dramatically decreased which I could accurately assess since my data reset yesterday, so I could see exactly what i consumed yesterday.  Based on my data usage yesterday I will cut my data usage in half and not exceed my limits again. Happy Face!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

P.S. As I researched my Roku issues on the Web, I ran into many forums with posts from Roku owners having this exact problem seeking solutions on how to control their data problems with no off features on Roku. So I am only one of many complaining! If no one is listening, people will go  to other products that give them what their looking for as they will be a wiser consumer as a result.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

"DiddlyD" wrote:
P.S. As I researched my Roku issues on the Web, I ran into many forums with posts from Roku owners having this exact problem seeking solutions on how to control their data problems with no off features on Roku. So I am only one of many complaining! If no one is listening, people will go  to other products that give them what their looking for as they will be a wiser consumer as a result.

None of the major streamers out there has a power button..

By the way, I know I mentioned a "smart outlet" earlier. I didn't mention that you didn't HAVE to set it up with Google assistant or Alexa. You can just install the app on your phone and control it remotely that way, with no "invasion of privacy" factor.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos