Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
puppyruler
Level 7

Hotspotting and a misidentified geo location

Jump to solution

I'm traveling in my RV about 60 miles from home and my roku thinks I'm two States north!!  Every time I've traveled with the Roku it always picks a random location.  I have tried calling roku but i don't qualify for Customer Support, odd how I own your system I think that makes me a customer!!  But I digress, can somebody help me align my roku with my geographic location?  I'm hot-spotting on my phone since using the RV park wireless was impossible with the roku.  Thanks. 

[post moved]

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Hotspotting and a misidentified geo location

Jump to solution

The Roku has no idea where it is geographically. What is happening is your phone hotspot has a networked Internet connection that is based somewhere other than where you are. Another example, my employer (US Gvmt) has hundreds of offices and locations across all 50 states, Guam, PR, and even in foreign countries. They all connect to a network backbone with a single Internet access point in Oklahoma City. So whenever an ad hits my browser, they all think I'm in the middle of the country, not near Seattle.

There's nothing you can do to alter your perceived geo-location. Your phone service is using different Internet access points when you connect, and it just keeps moving you around. 

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Hotspotting and a misidentified geo location

Jump to solution

The Roku has no idea where it is geographically. What is happening is your phone hotspot has a networked Internet connection that is based somewhere other than where you are. Another example, my employer (US Gvmt) has hundreds of offices and locations across all 50 states, Guam, PR, and even in foreign countries. They all connect to a network backbone with a single Internet access point in Oklahoma City. So whenever an ad hits my browser, they all think I'm in the middle of the country, not near Seattle.

There's nothing you can do to alter your perceived geo-location. Your phone service is using different Internet access points when you connect, and it just keeps moving you around. 

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post