Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senorads
Level 7

Hotspot Roku Streaming plus stick or any other Roku device

Can I hotspot a roku device particularly the roku streaming stick plus with my phone? I hotspot my computer to get online with my phone and was wondering if can do the same thing with a Samsung 720 model LN19B360C5D to a roku? Would it need it also need to be a particular roku or can all of them do it?
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1\
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Hotspot Roku Streaming plus stick or any other Roku device

@Senorads wrote:
Can I hotspot a roku device particularly the roku streaming stick plus with my phone? I hotspot my computer to get online with my phone and was wondering if can do the same thing with a Samsung 720 model LN19B360C5D to a roku? Would it need it also need to be a particular roku or can all of them do it?

What tv you use doesn't matter as long as it has an available HDMI port through which you can connect your Roku.

All Rokus can connect to wifi networks.  The low end Express and Premier models only connect to the 2.4 GHz band but all higher units connect to both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, so you need to know what bands your phone uses for its hotspot.

Some people report good success connecting to phone hotspots, others report problems.  We seem to see more complaints here about connecting to iPhones than others, but that may just relate to how many of them are out there. (??)  Some report that the hotspot network name (SSID) and password should only be made up of alphanumeric characters for the Roku to connect and it has been suggested that you may need to shorten the password if it's overly long.

Guess I'll have to try this sometime so I can give a more authoritative answer.  I ought to do this anyhow so I'll be prepared to stream when my internet has a temporary outage.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.
Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.
0 Kudos