Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hotel Connections, Roku not connecting to Premier Inn wifi

Jump to solution

I'm the owner of 3 ROKU devices. I am sitting here watching my travel ROKU stick using my phone tether because of this very issue. After the last software upgrade I connected one time to a network named Marriott_Guest (I'm back to travelling every other week and only at Marriott properties) and now it seems I'll never get the hotel/dorm prompt again. 

It's clear that the software needs to reset the dorm/hotel prompt every time the wireless network reset is chosen, but they haven't added that to the functionality. So the only way to even possibly get back to the prompt is to nuke the unit back to factory default and then log back in and of course this means relogging into every one of the pay services on the stick each time.

Ludicrous, ,man!

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@bigjondaniel, did you try the "Network connection reset" under Settings->System->Advanced system settings?  I don't know if it will help, but it's worth a try.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
T4d
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Literally tried EVERYTHING! Reset the network settings and reset the whole Roku and set back up from scratch!!… nothing works. Ended up buying a FIRESTICK and haven’t looked back, Roku was really NOT fit fir purpose, won’t bother with their products again. Anyone thinking of buying a Roku because the frequently stay away in hotels don’t bother… get a Firestick instead 👍

JeffVB

Hotel Connections - Hotel & Dorm option are gone

Jump to solution

No, resetting network does not work nor does Set Up New Connection. Just like everyone else in this string, Hotel & Dorm has disappeared from my Express 4K+

I even just performed a Factory Reset after going through endless support loops. Currently tethered to my cell phone and finished re-activating.

Yes, it's activated and verified. Yes, it's added all the channels.

No, I cannot call the hotel and have them reset the router for me.

Roku, you have become a bitter disappointment.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Hotel Connections - Hotel & Dorm option are gone

Jump to solution

@JeffVB
Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? Are you making sure to follow the instructions outlined on our Support page here: Hotel & Dorm Connect?

With more detailed information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny 

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ronin22
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Danny-R, first thing this is not a problem setting up a Roku. We have devices and use them fine in other places. The device will work fine the FIRST TIME it’s used at a hotel. But the problem is the second or subsequent time at the SAME hotel it just won’t give you the option to do the hotel connection. There are 2 or 3 different things it will do which are described elsewhere in this thread in detail. Generally it will connect to the WiFi and then either give you the “hotel/dorm connection” prompt but clear it within 1-2 seconds, way too quickly to connect to the device from your phone and login but it acts as if you have. Or never give you the prompt and act like it’s connected just fine but it’s not. At that point there’s no way to fix the issue from the Roku. The only two things that will get you connected and working at that point are 1, call the hotel service provider and have them manually add/approve the MAC address for the Roku to the room or 2. Connect to another WiFi (like your phone/cellular) and use that instead. Some possibly relevant details. I am using an IPhone 11 (but also had the issue with iPhone 8’s) running the latest software. I’m staying at Marriott hotels. The sign in page for the hotel has a “remember me” check box. I try not to click that incase it’s related to this issue but I may have clicked it at some point in the past in some hotels. This happens at multiple places over the last few years. The Roku thinks is authenticated to the hotel service provider but it’s not and there’s no convincing it to give you the option to reauthebticate/login again. Hope that helps. We’d like to see this addressed in a software update please. 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Ronin22

Thanks for the post.

I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
edmgeek

Re: Hotel Connections ----

Jump to solution

I truly think hotels are catching on and adding fire walls or blocking certain devices or websites from being accessed to avoid people using all their bandwidth. I'm in a hotel now and my roku works fine but as soon as I open an app, the screen goes black. If I hit the home button, it goes back to the main screen. The last hotel I was at had similar results where I was just not able to use my roku service on their network at all. I don't think its an issue with the device but we're being blocked on the hotels end. 

0 Kudos
T4d
Reel Rookie

Re: Hotel Connections ----

Jump to solution

Strange….. I bought an Amazon fire stick after experiencing these issues with the Roku stick, been using it in the same hotels as the ones my Roku won’t work in (and others) for months now with absolutely NO issues 🤔🤔🤔…. Roku stick still not working in said hotels even after hard reset etc, etc as advised by Roku/previous posts!

Re: It still didn't work in the hotel no matter what I do

Jump to solution

No Dan Roku needs to modify their software so there is an advance setting on network/wifi to treat the wifi connection as a locked network and/or always ask the Hotel or Dorm. question when selecting the network.    There are many many hotels that use this standard method.