Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marycole
Level 7

Hopefully someone here can help as roku is not concerned in customer service

I just spent an hour with Xfinity as both my roku devices will not recognize my modem whereas every other device in my house does and up until last night so did my roku.  Xfinity ran through all the trouble shooting and health checks and said that it is a known roku issue and to contact roku.  It appears though, that even though for some it not millions thiese devices are our only connection out, roku doesn’t deem it necessary to provide even the smallest amount of customer service.  So if anyone has had this issue and can help I’d appreciate it.  I do plan on letting Xfinity know of this lack of cs.  Heck they were working from home and helped as best they could and that I will most likely change to fire as I can deal with almost anything but **bleep**ty cs.

15 REPLIES 15\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Hopefully someone here can help as roku is not concerned in customer service

Couldn't agree more about the CS.  :-)  What model Roku is it (model number, not name)?  When Xfinity was trying to help, did they try changing channels on your router?  Do you know if you're trying to connect to a 2.4GHz or 5GHz AP?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
DesertOutlaw
Level 7

Re: Hopefully someone here can help as roku is not concerned in customer service

You're not alone. I was using my ROKU this morning and it disconnected with a message that there was no Internet. Unit will not accept password. Spent most the day trying to figure it out. Reset modem to factory setting, had Spectrum reset password, reset ROKU to factory settings, re-entered & organized the channels using a Sprint Coolpad. Sat down to watch a program and now the ROKU will not detect the Coolpad and the password for the modem still does not work. 

0 Kudos
DesertOutlaw
Level 7

Almost forgot. Check the small raised print on the bottom of your ROKU, see if it says, Made In China. LOL!

0 Kudos
DesertOutlaw
Level 7

Took 4 more scans, but my ROKU finally found my battery operated Sprint Coolpad portable modem again and connected. However, the ROKU will still not allow a connection to my home Spectrum modem. Three different desktops, a laptop, and three different phones can all connect to Spectrum. Only the ROKU will not connect. May take it to two friend's homes later to learn whether it will connect to their Internet connections.  

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

I've had my Rokus fail to locate my wifi a couple of times since I started using them several years ago. Everything else connected fine, but not the Roku. This last time I had several Rokus in service and none of them could see my wifi. Both times nothing I did restored service until after I restarted the modem followed by restarting the Roku(s).
Doug
Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution."
0 Kudos
DesertOutlaw
Level 7

I not only rebooted the modem, I reset it to the factory default. Last thing I tried with the modem was having Spectrum change the password.

The modem has both 5G and 2G wifi connections. However, the ROKU only sees the 2G as designed as has worked. 

The ROKU itself has been restarted multiple times and I even did a total reset.

Its definitely a software issue with the ROKU.

0 Kudos
rsuarez
Level 8

I had the same problem with a Roku Streaming Stick+ a few months ago and with a Roku TV now. You can try connecting to a Hotspot on your phone or better yet on your computer if you have one. That worked for me, but it's not an ideal solution, and a direct WiFi connection would be better. I also heard somewhere that you could configure your router to a public DNS, but I don't know if I want to try it. Roku is the only brand in my house that has this problem. I have smart phones, smart speakers, and other streaming devices that all connect fine to my Centurylink router.

0 Kudos
DesertOutlaw
Level 7

I can connect to my portable Sprint Coolpad, which is basically a hotspot, but its only good for about 4 to 4-1/2 hours since its battery operated. Could leave the charger in, but then there would be heating problems, the battery would swell, and I would have to buy a new one. So its only a temporary fix at best.

I can also connect via my smartphone which is an odd configuration. So I do not use tons of data, I connect my phone to 5G wifi via my Spectrum home modem, then connect the ROKU to the phone via 2G. However, same situation as my Coolpad. Battery in my smartphone will get warm and I do not want to damage it and then have to replace it. 

I can connect three different desktops and a laptop to the Spectrum modem in addition to three different smart phones, although I do not have them all on at the same time, that would be foolish. So its definitely NOT the modem which has been reset to factory defaults twice and rebooted more times than the town drunk out of his watering hole when he's run out of money.  BTW, I had Spectrum change my passwords to different simple password for each the  2G and 5G. The only device that will not connect is my RoKU.

The ROKU had been working flawlessly until one morning it just disconnected from the Spectrum modem. Since then, REGARDLESS of what I have tried, the Express unit will not connect to 2G on my Spectrum modem, and there is no way to contact ROKU Support.  I see where an admin for this community has tried to help others, and although his replies are canned responses, at least he's trying and his efforts are appreciated.

I'm 99% certain the issue could be resolved if the software for the ROKU could be rolled back. I like the ROKU since it has worked flawlessly until recently, and I really do not use it that much, the apps & channels can be added & removed and re-positioned unlike the completion, and I have a beautiful Samsung 1080i TV which works perfectly and has a glass edge, NOT the black plastic seen on TVs today, 

I'm putting off purchasing the OAN app until this issue is resolved; and if its like most computer issues, if experience has taught me anything, its normally something small and sometimes almost insignificant.

0 Kudos
DesertOutlaw
Level 7

Recent development. Figured out to access the ROKU secret menu. The values for both Antenna 1 & 2 are 0 which indicates no antenna strength. Tried performing a driver reset, driver reload and chip reset that did not work. Therefore, going to the local Spectrum store to replace the modem. If the ROKU does not connect then I will be convinced it is the ROKU. If that is the result, I'll be off to either MicroCenter or BestBuy to purchase another unit.

0 Kudos