Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Hopefully someone here can help as roku is not concerned in customer service

I hope Roku is listening because it has to be impacting their sales in a big way. It doesn't cost much to get a competitor's product that will work. I had an old Roku product that worked fine several months ago. I'm guessing that an update to their software messed things up in the latter part of 2019. I don't want to reconfigure my router just for this because everything else works, and I don't want to risk everything else not working. So right now, I'm using my desktop computer's hotspot and a competitor's product for when the hotspot is not online. I'd rather use my Roku TV's native software, but it's not cooperating.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Hopefully someone here can help as roku is not concerned in customer service

I have 2 Streaming Stick+'s, one that's still on ver 9.2.0 and the other was updated late last week to ver 9.3.0 and since the update I've had nothing but issues with it and had to reboot it every day.  I noticed that my connection to my 5 GHz wifi band on my router was only displaying 3 out of 5 bars yet before I had 4.  Also my connection speed was only 32-45 and unstable where before it was 54-65 and very stable.  Someone posted that they were having issues with their wired Ethernet connection to their Roku device when it was updated to vers 9.3.0 which led me to think this is definitely a software issue with the new update.  They posted this info on how to revert to vers 9.2.0 which I did and now it is functioning properly.  From what I understand you can only revert if the new version is still being rolled out.  Here is the procedure:

You can sometimes get the previous version of the firmware during the rollout of a new version from the "Secret Screen" (press Home 5 times, FF 3 times, Rewind twice).  Choose "Update software" and it may offer the previous version as an update.  This option is generally removed once the rollout is complete and the box will generally update automatically overnight, so it's not that useful even when available

Again this is up to you to try if you want to.  I have reported my issues to Roku and have an open case and I let them know that reverting back to vers 9.2.0 resolved my wifi connection issues and to please inform their IT dept that there are issues with the new release.

Highlighted
Level 7

Hope it works out. My issue is now resolved. Learned about "phantom ID" numbers this afternoon.

When a modem is exchanged, it is usually for a reconditioned or a re-worked modem. When that happens, especially for a present account, the ID information for the old modem is basically coped and pasted into the new modem. Although the physical modem is different, the ID info, such as for 2G, 4G and passwords remain the same. The frustration begins if a new label with the old information is not made and placed on the new replacement modem.     

When it works its a beautiful thing, when it does not, it can be frustrating, VERY frustrating. However, when you think about how many modems are exchanged daily, the communication companies actually do a pretty good job Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

If you are using 5ghz (most likely are) then check your channel number. I have found that if the channel frequency is too high, Roku can not detect it. Try setting it to a lower channel like 48-56.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I'm sure it's not my wifi channel. I connected a 50 ft ethernet cable from my router to my Roku TV; no connection. I think there's some sort of incompatibility between the Roku and my CenturyLink Router. It's a problem that only exists on my Roku. All my other devices connect fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Yesterday my 2 Streaming Stick+ & my Roku TV all had issues connecting to the internet.  When I checked my connection speed Roku was reporting 0-6 Mbps.  I have 100 to the house and Netflix usually reports 80+ easily.  I tried rebooting all devices including my cable modem (Motorola Arris) & WiFi Router & WiFi extender which has always cleared any WiFi connection issue.  No dice.  My internet speed to my router was 100+ (because of channel bonding) so no issues there.  So what was the cause of my issue and maybe yours as well?  I needed to change my DNS settings on my router.  They've always been set to the default which has worked for ever - until yesterday.  Here is what I did:

Replace the internal DNS address with a public DNS address. What worked was using Google’s public DNS. So set DNS1 to 8.8.8.8 and DNS2 to 8.8.4.4

Once I made the changes and applied them all of my Rokus connected without any problem.  The issue was only with my Rokus as all other WiFi connected devices worked just fine.  Something to look into if you haven't already.

0 Kudos