Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Home WiFi network not appearing on Roku Express after searching for networks

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Express that is not showing either of my home WiFi networks when I go to the Check for Connections part of Settings. They are not appearing on the list of available connections, even though computers and phones and connected to the same network just fine. When I press the button to search for more connections, they still don't show up. All I get are weak signal networks from neighboring houses. 

Does anyone know how to remedy this problem? It only just started happening and has never happened before. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Level 21

Re: Home WiFi network not appearing on Roku Express after searching for networks

Jump to solution

The only other suggestion is to unplug the power from everything - modem/router and Roku - for several seconds and then plug everything back in.  If you know how to change the Wi-Fi channel on your router then you could also try different channels.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Level 21

Re: Home WiFi network not appearing on Roku Express after searching for networks

Jump to solution

Do you use OpenWRT or DD-WRT on your router?  Are you using a 2.4GHz channel from 1 to 11?

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have exactly the same problem.  scanning through the screens, i see that the IP address is wrong, and I know of no way to change it.  Of course, roku has no one available to help.  IRT the next posting, yes, I am on 2.4ghz on a channel between 1 and 11.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

@renojim I have no idea what OpenWRT or DD-WRT is, and I also don't know about the 2.4GHz channel from 1 to 11. Could you please explain what they are?

0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

@LGG53, your issue appears to be something different.  What do you mean the IP address is wrong?  If your Roku shows an IP address then it's connected to some network.

@Conall, if you aren't familiar with OpenWRT or DD-WRT then it's unlikely you're router is using them.  They're something the user usually has to load onto the router.  Are you in the U.S.?  U.S. routers only use channels 1 to 11 in the 2.4GHz band.  If you're in the EU then it's possible your router is using a channel above 11.  As far as checking to see what channel your router is using, there's a few ways to check.  You can log into your router's control panel or check the wireless settings on any connected device (phone, computer, etc.) - they almost always tell you what your IP address is, what network it's connected to, and what channel it's using.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am indeed in the US. I think I do indeed have a channel 1-11 router, though. 

0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

The only other suggestion is to unplug the power from everything - modem/router and Roku - for several seconds and then plug everything back in.  If you know how to change the Wi-Fi channel on your router then you could also try different channels.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

I did that and it works fine (for now). Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the same problem help!!

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have been having this issue for a while now. When it first started I was able to reset everything (router and Roku) for it to "see" my network and connect, however, for the past couple weeks nothing I do is working. I have reset both router and Roku several times with no luck. I'm not sure where to go from here. The network was there one night before bed, the next day after work it was gone with no loss in signal. All other devices connect with no issues. Any suggestions? 

0 Kudos