Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

High Bandwidth Usage when Idle to googleusercontent.com

I've been having an issue for awhile now where my Roku 3 (4200 series)  will eat up all of my internet bandwidth and bring my internet connection to its knees.. Granted I only have 10Mbps download speed.  I have a good router that allows me to see the flows and connections to and from the roku and when this happens there are around 10 or so connections to lh3.googleusercontent.com and the Roku using all available bandwidth.

If I pull the plug on the Roku and reboot the problem goes away for awhile... maybe a week or a few days at least.

I do have the google photos app on my device as a screen saver so I'm not sure if this related.  I did just have the issue though and I powered on my TV and it said that the screensaver was paused due to inactivity.  So, you would think it wouldn't be downloading...  After waking it up the bandwidth usage went down and even after the screen saver firing up again the bandwidth is basically nothing.

So, I'm wondering, how do I keep my roku from sabotaging my internet connection? Are there any further steps I should take to try to figure it out?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: High Bandwidth Usage when Idle to googleusercontent.com

I think you nailed it with the screensaver app. Especially since the URL you noted seems specific to user storage, not some sort of commercial or advertising site. Google doesn't do their best with their Roku channels. They made YouTube completely unusable on older Roku players. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos