Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Having two wireless routers, one decimated to Roku

Jump to solution

Does anyone use a dedicated wireless router for Roku only?

I've seen them used for wireless security cameras.  The cameras were dragging down wifi speeds.  The homeowner plugged a second wireless router into the cable modem/router.

Wifi does normal use like phones and devices went back to a fast speed.  I'm considering this for Roku.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Level 8

Re: Having two wireless routers, one decimated to Roku

Jump to solution

Thank you,  I have hard wired Ethernet at several locations in the house, so adding an Access Point should't be too hard.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Level 21

Re: Having two wireless routers, one dedicated to Roku

Jump to solution

If you are using your Roku for streaming from the Internet, this won't make any difference because you only have a single connection to the Internet. If you play anything from a personal server (Plex, Emby, DLNA with RMP), you will lose your connection to those servers unless they too are on the same network.

Now, if you are merely thinking of having more than one wireless access point for your network, yes that is something that can be done. I have 3 in my home, with one dedicated to my smart thermostat and Ring doorbell, one quality WAP (Ubiquiti) for the main and lower levels, and one for upstairs. I use different SSIDs for each WAP and each band, so I can be certain exactly where I'm connected. 

Note I said wireless access point, and not router. They are not the same thing, although some routers can be placed into a WAP configuration. If you simply plug a second router into your network, you end up with two separate networks, and that will cause issues trying to connect devices between the two networks. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

I was thinking about two separate Networks with different names and passwords.  One dedicated to Roku and TVs.

The problem isn't with the modem speed, the slow down comes when family visits, kids & grandkids, and everyone signs into the Network.  I've noticed WiFi slowing down.

0 Kudos
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Electromen wrote:

I was thinking about two separate Networks with different names and passwords.  One dedicated to Roku and TVs.

The problem isn't with the modem speed, the slow down comes when family visits, kids & grandkids, and everyone signs into the Network.  I've noticed WiFi slowing down.

In that case, I suggest a separate access point specifically for guests. That keeps them off your primary wireless, and you can configure the AP to only let them get to the Internet, not even see any of your network assets. And your existing network doesn't get touched. They will still be using bandwidth from your wired network and Internet connection, but even if it's only Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps), it's highly unlikely guest use would make any noticeable difference with your overall network speed. And with them being on a different WAP, it won't impact your general use.

Having two separate networks would be a pain, trust me. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you,  I have hard wired Ethernet at several locations in the house, so adding an Access Point should't be too hard.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos