Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Have Roku ultra connect to 5Ghz band by default on mesh system

Hi, I set up a Google Nest mesh system and I see that the Roku devices automatically connect to the 2.4ghz band.  I would like to change this so it connects to the 5Ghz band.  I know it can connect to 5Ghz from the previous wi-fi setup.  I also know how to do this with laptops by directing the wifi to only connect to 802.11ac.  How can I direct the Roku device to connect to 5ghz by default?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Have Roku ultra connect to 5Ghz band by default on mesh system

I don't know of any way to do that via any of the menus.  The easiest way is to just use a different SSID for the 5GHz and the 2.4GHz APs.  If you don't want to do that, can you disable the 2.4GHz AP temporarily and then reconnect the Roku?  I don't know if it would just jump back to 2.4GHz once you turn it back on if they're both using the same SSID and password.  If you try that, you'll probably want to reset the network connection from Settings->System->Advanced system settings->Network connection reset before you reconnect.  If you give it a try, let us know what happens.

Level 21

I have to agree with @renojim . If your mesh access points permit it, you should name the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios with different SSIDs. I run my (non-mesh) access points that way, so I can ensure which band I connect to.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 7

Unfortunately I do not know how to separate the mesh points.  Their purpose is to make the connections seamless throughout the house.  So there's only one name.  In my previous setup I had four different names based on two bands, a router, and an extender.  Fortunately, there hasn't been a problem but there could be if there is a drop in speed.  Thank you for the replies.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Yeah, I have no experience with mesh routers. So I wasn't sure if the SSIDs could be separated. If it is possible, it should be obvious in the control interface. If they offer a place for the SSID, and they list the 2.4 and 5 GHz names separately, then it should be possible. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.