Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LJohnny
Level 7

Have 15Mbps having issues....

Hey guys,

First time poster, just found this forum.

To begin with, I would like to congratulate you on the easy set up for the device. It took about 5 min to get it going.

Now the issue(s)
After the initial set up I watched a few shows without any issues, smooth mostly **** and ***. However after a while the quality dropped to only one or two stars and it stops, re-buffers and loads again, any ideas?? It seems to be intermittent. The connection light on the device is stable.

We have FiOS 15Mbps, only one device.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
jimmyzshack
Level 7

Re: Have 15Mbps having issues....

i think you need to test only this device on your connection. isp's are not doing qos. so if you have another computer on the network this could be why. computer with windows are always checking for updates. virus updates sotware updates for flash adobe etc. which could be a problem.
0 Kudos
LJohnny
Level 7

Incidentally, I just did a few moments ago: When connected via ethernet it performs flawlessly. Great image and no lags or pauses.
So whatever issues, are due to wireless. And yes, there are other devices on the wireless network: laptops, internet tablet, etc.

So indeed, for better performance either having no other device on the wireless network while in use or go ethernet....
0 Kudos
RokuJamesL
Level 7

Spikes in high network latency can also cause this to happen, although it would have to be pretty significant in order to cause the box to downshift. LJohnny, have you ever tried doing a bandwidth test on your FIOS connection? You can do a check here:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1

For now though, try power cycling the box to clear out the speed test history.
0 Kudos
LJohnny
Level 7

"RokuJamesL" wrote:
Spikes in high network latency can also cause this to happen, although it would have to be pretty significant in order to cause the box to downshift. LJohnny, have you ever tried doing a bandwidth test on your FIOS connection? You can do a check here:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1

For now though, try power cycling the box to clear out the speed test history.

I've done the speakeasy several times. Ranges from 8-13 Mbps/1-1.8Mbps DC--NYC. (theoretically this is a 15Mbps down /2Mbps up.

But like I said in that previous reply, I just tested a different connection, via ethernet, no issues at all. So whatever the issue(s) most likely are Wlan-related. Any thoughts other that the suggestion by our fellow member of having other devices hugging the signal?

Thanks.

[edit] just did DC--LA 8.4Mbps
0 Kudos
RokuJamesL
Level 7

Wow, I wish I had that kind of bandwidth at home. Smiley Happy

How far away is the Netflix Player from the router? We've seen instances where boxes positioned at an extended range will have an inconsistent connection and downshift speeds. Another possibility is a wireless channel conflict with a neighbor's wireless network. Do you know what wireless channel the router is set to?
0 Kudos
Kermee
Level 7

I have Verizon FiOS 15/15. No lag or quality issues at all. Using the wireless part of the unit with 128-bit WEP on an ASUS WL-500gP.

Watched an entire movie today with the girl with no issues at all (It was "How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days")... Wait... why did she pick that movie? Is she trying to tell me something? Smiley Wink

Cheers,
Kermee
0 Kudos
LJohnny
Level 7

Howdy!

It seems that we had too many devices hocked on the Wlan. Once we limited the devices on network to one laptop, it's fine.

For reference, before we had two windows based laptops, one nokia N770 internet tablet, and one Nokia E51 all at the same time. So it was too much to handle for the WLAN router. (Ethernet works fine under this conditions)

I did power cycle the unit to start fresh. Clear and nice pic now!

Thanks guys : - )
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Level 8

Ljohnny,

What router is it you are using, and what firmware version?
0 Kudos
hpsenicka
Level 7

"LJohnny" wrote:
Howdy!

It seems that we had too many devices hocked on the Wlan. Once we limited the devices on network to one laptop, it's fine.

For reference, before we had two windows based laptops, one nokia N770 internet tablet, and one Nokia E51 all at the same time. So it was too much to handle for the WLAN router. (Ethernet works fine under this conditions)

Just curious.... are any of the devices 802.11b, or are they all 802.11g??

Having a mix of 802.11b and 802.11g devices sharing an access point might cause a problem of this type.
0 Kudos