Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dairylander
Level 7

Hard-wire a Roku TV with ethernet-dongle-USB port

I read the thread on buying a dongle and connecting the ethernet to the TV's USB via a Belkin dongle:

viewtopic.php?p=455800

The dongle that RokuShawn recommends has been discontinued for a new product here:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-USB-Ethern ... et+adapter

I bought this new dongle and hooked up to my Sharp 43 inch Roku TV.
I've done the system restart, the factory reset, and the reboot to no avail.
I called Sharp and they say this will not work, that there's no way to get drivers into the TV, but isn't the belkin dongle "driverless"?
Is there another dongle that doesn't require drivers?
Is there an ethernet to HDMI that would work?
Has anyone else had success with a Sharp Roku TV?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
rkuser2128
Level 7

Re: Hard-wire a Roku TV with ethernet-dongle-USB port

Hi,

I just bought the 43" Sharp Roku TV from Best Buy today. The first USB dongle didn't work (a 3.0 USB to ethernet adapter), then I tried the one I had connected to out WII U. Success!!

The brand is "Plugable" and the Model is USB2-E100 (sold at Newegg and Amazon for $12).

Just hook up the adapter, go into Setting -> System settings -> Power -> System Restart

I knew it worked right away because the Home screen previously stated "Not Connected" in the top right of the screen and after the restart, it listed the current time. No need to go into Netflix and check the connection as others have written.

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Ethernet ... B00484IEJS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 2XB12C5920
0 Kudos
captivater
Level 7

"rkuser2128" wrote:
Hi,

I just bought the 43" Sharp Roku TV from Best Buy today. The first USB dongle didn't work (a 3.0 USB to ethernet adapter), then I tried the one I had connected to out WII U. Success!!

The brand is "Plugable" and the Model is USB2-E100 (sold at Newegg and Amazon for $12).

Just hook up the adapter, go into Setting -> System settings -> Power -> System Restart

I knew it worked right away because the Home screen previously stated "Not Connected" in the top right of the screen and after the restart, it listed the current time. No need to go into Netflix and check the connection as others have written.

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Ethernet ... B00484IEJS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 2XB12C5920

$12 for an adapter is a bit steep.

First, I'd try

$2
or
$3
EDIT: looks like the $3 one is USB 1.1. A definite no-no.
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 8

I just ordered the $2 one ($2.80 Canadian). I'll post whether it works or not when it gets here in a month. Smiley Sad

-JT
0 Kudos
captivater
Level 7

"renojim" wrote:
I just ordered the $2 one ($2.80 Canadian). I'll post whether it works or not when it gets here in a month. Smiley Sad

-JT

Great! Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

I would have ordered it, but am in the process of moving/downsizing. In fact, I have to toss wads of cables (rca, rca components, serial cables). So yeah. No. I can't order any more "stuff".
0 Kudos
rkuser2128
Level 7

Thanks. Let us know how it goes. I turned on the TV tonight and it wasn't connected. I needed to restart again. Wondering of the adapter lost power or something so it may not be 100% compatible for the Roku TV.
0 Kudos
jayman
Level 7

"jayman" wrote:
This one also works:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-USB-Ethern ... s=f4U047bt

Was able to verify it on the router via the roku ID #. Just followed the procedure previously mentioned and it worked.

I posted this in another similar thread. However, I would like to add that it seems to automatically goes back to wireless everytime the tv is powered off. We don't have netflix so can't check that way, but I can see the device on the router's connected devices list under wired connections. Worked as soon as I hooked it up and did the system restart. Then yesterday noticed the connection was dropping and when i checked the router it was listed as wireless. After restart it was once again back in the wired connections list
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 8

"renojim" wrote:

Well, sadly, it doesn't work It took almost a month to get here, but no joy. Smiley Sad I'll keep playing with it, but it doesn't look good.

-JT
0 Kudos
Dagwood
Level 7

I use a Plugable USB2-E100. $12 on amazon. It works just fine and is small enough that I attached it to the back of the TV with a command strip. Everyonce in a while the TV will go back to Wifi, but I think that has to do with an unreliable powerline adapter bringing in the ethernet signal. I restart the TV from the power menu and it syncsback up.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

"Dagwood" wrote:
I use a Plugable USB2-E100. $12 on amazon. It works just fine and is small enough that I attached it to the back of the TV with a command strip. Everyonce in a while the TV will go back to Wifi, but I think that has to do with an unreliable powerline adapter bringing in the ethernet signal. I restart the TV from the power menu and it syncsback up.

What TV? Even though Roku said it shouldn't matter, it does seem to.

In one of the other threads I purchased an adapter that one person said worked perfectly on their TV. Did not work on mine. I've tried 3 now, none even worked once.
0 Kudos