Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Hard Wired Roku Problem

I thought cable companies finally did away with modems that only provided a single IP address. Greedy buggers. It does sound like a router is needed between the cable modem and the remaining network. I's also like to know what IP address his computer has when connected to the modem. It would be interesting to see if it's not one in the official private address groups. If it is a public address, I say add a router IMMEDIATELY, because your computer is visible within the entire cable network, and prime for an attack. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
TonyinCNY--
Level 7

I'm anxious to get a router now that you folks have pointed out how it improves security.  But, I'm having an awful time reading the ratings (Amazon) on wireless routers.  At best, the better wireless routers have about a 70 to 74% 5 star rating.  Most are about 60 to 65% 5 star rating.  That means that 10 to 30% are 1 star rated.  Those 1 star ratings sure have some mad buyers.  Most are complaints of dropped Internet connection and various other electronic problems.  I just know that my purchase will be one of the 1 star units.  My Netgear wireless router and Netgear modem I bought were certainly 1 star units.  The router cut my Internet speed in half and the modem crapped out after several months.  It seemed to be a software or firmware problem with the modem or an incompatibility problem with Spectrum service.  Netgear said I should go to Spectrum for an update and Spectrum said that Netgear should update their own equipment.  So, I trashed both Netgear products and vowed to never buy from them again.  Unfortunately, their wireless routers seem to have the highest ratings.  What to do.  What to do.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 10

Here is why your set up didn't work, copied from Netgear support site.

"The problem here is the switch, it is not where it is supposed to be placed. The setup should be modem-router-switch. The reason why you cannot get a connection from the other ports of the switch is because it does not have a DHCP server thus it cannot give the devices connected to it an IP address. The GS605 is only a passthrough switch and does not have the capability to provide an IP address and translate the internet connection."

So, the problem here is the switch, it is not where it is supposed to be placed. The setup should be modem-router-switch. The reason why you cannot get a connection from the other ports of the switch is because it does not have a DHCP server thus it cannot give the devices connected to it an IP address. The GS605 is only a passthrough switch and does not have the capability to provide an IP address and translate the internet connection.  it was the IP conflict, or just not being assigned one.[/font][/color]
You won't find a router with all good reviews, people are just that way. Anything techie will have folks bash the device if they can't make it work. 
I'd look for an inexpensive (under $80 or so), major name brand (cisco/linksys, dlink, tp-link), External antennas, dual band wifi. Getting one setup is usually pretty simple, but tweaking settings for security may have you back asking questions.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"dgrace" wrote:
... look for an inexpensive (under $80 or so), major name brand (cisco/linksys, dlink, tp-link), External antennas, dual band wifi. ...

This!
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

If it fits your budget, get a router with the wireless protocol 802.11AC, which offers the fastest connections. Most new Roku players support 11AC, as do many other devices today. I also suggest getting one with Gigabit ports. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
TonyinCNY--
Level 7

Hi dgrace - Currently, I don't have a router in my setup.  I go from the modem to the switch and to the TV and Roku.  I think what happened was that previously I had a different modem supplied by Spectrum.  That must have permitted me to have two IP addresses because I used to have my Roku and computer connected to the Internet at the same time.  I had an issue with complete loss of Internet connection and changed out my modem for a new one from Spectrum.  It was a completely different make and model.  So, I'm guessing that the new modem only allows ONE IP address and that is causing my connection problems now.
You guys have been great in explaining the difference in function between a switch and a router.  In fact, I just dug that old(er) Netgear (R6400v2 AC1750) wireless router out of the trash bin.  Even though it cut my Internet speed in half it should be fine for playing Roku music etc.  My Spectrum Internet service runs at just above 100 Mbps so 50 Mbps should be adequate for the Roku.  I'll hardwire my computer into one of the Ethernet ports on the Netgear and, hopefully, I'll have my full 100 Mbps speed on the computer.  Now, I just have to find the A/C adapter for it.  It's around here someplace.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

Just a note about your setup. You have a Premiere+ model 4630. It’s vastly different from, and superior to, the current Premiere+. Your device will accommodate the better WiFi technology — a/b/g/n/ac & dual-band — while the current Premier+ is b/g/n and 2.4 GHz only.

I mention that in case after you have everything like you want, you decide to get a second Roku. The current Premiere line is a souped up Express. Your Premiere is a scaled down Ultra (missing a couple of features that are rarely used). But, second Roku would be a separate discussion, after your network is running as you like.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
TonyinCNY--
Level 7

That's interesting.  My older Premiere + is superior to the newer, current Premiere?  Why would Roku take features AWAY from a model and still use the same name?  I suppose the newer Premiere wouldn't be too bad of a choice for the second Roku as it will upstairs and away from the wireless router.  In that case, the 2.4 GHz only might be okay since the lower frequency travels farther and goes through walls/floors better than the 5 GHz signal.  But, thanks for the heads up.  I'll be sure to read the boxes before making a purchase so I know what I'll be getting.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 10

There is probably nothing wrong with that router. You will not see your 100mbps achieved with wifi. 54 is certainly an acceptable result. I have Spectrum and wired to my desktop I get 115, whereas our wifi connected laptop gets 54. 
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
NightHawk
Level 7

"dgrace" wrote:
There is probably nothing wrong with that router. You will not see your 100mbps achieved with wifi. 54 is certainly an acceptable result. I have Spectrum and wired to my desktop I get 115, whereas our wifi connected laptop gets 54. 

Yep wifi speed depends a lot on the client device too, some don't support the higher speed protocols.
Only a newer high end smartphone may support wifi ac speeds and have more than one antenna. With all those extras near the router with a good ac wifi router you might achieve over 500mpbs raw speed, but one or two rooms away the speed will drop fast like down to 200Mbps or less.  With a device with only one wifi antenna and no ac support, 50mpbs would be a good speed for it.

On newer Roku devices (Roku Stick+ and Roku Ultra) connected to my Asus ac wifi router, they typically get 30-50Mbps 25-40feet away on most speed tests. Which is plenty for streaming HD, even 10Mbps should be enough for that.  With a direct ethernet wired connection to the router my Roku Ultra gets 90Mbps on the Roku speed test.

2.4Ghz travels farther but only supports a smaller bandwidth channel and the older slower protocols.  Only 5Ghz channels support the higher speed newer ac protocol as well as wider bandwidth channels achieving much higher speeds even with less of a total range, but that helps limit interference from neighbors on the 5Ghz channels.  I have the 2.4Ghz turned off on my wifi router and only use the 5Ghz since all the devices I have support that band. The newer Rokus support ac protocol and all the Rokus no older than 3 years ago,  support at least both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.
Roku Ultra 4640R, Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810R
0 Kudos