Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TonyinCNY--
Level 7

Re: Hard Wired Roku Problem

Nope, no "router".  Spectrum (Time Warner) gave me a Hitron Technologies E31N2V1 "modem".  It also has the Spectrum name embossed on the side.  The purpose of the Netgear GS608 switch is to replace any kind of wireless router.  In effect, it serves as a "wired" router.  I had a wireless router for awhile but it cut my Internet speed in half so I trashed it.
Everything I've gone through on this problem would indicate that you're probably right that the Spectrum modem only allows one IP address.  I wonder how connecting the Roku first and then the computer would over-ride that problem?  But, as I mentioned, I think if I turn off the Roku that it will lose its' Internet connection and won't be able to find it again unless I go through hooking each item up separate and the computer last.
0 Kudos
TonyinCNY--
Level 7

Oops, I just noticed that the Roku lost its' Internet connection and it won't reconnect.  It doesn't look as though my "fix" was very long lasting.  There must be a setting somewhere that would fix this problem since I used to have both the Roku and computer hooked up at the same time.  But, now that I think about it, I had a different modem at the time.  I had some Internet connection problems some months ago and exchanged modems to fix the problem.  Perhaps I should go down to the Spectrum office and mention my problem and see if they have a different modem to give me.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"TonyinCNY--" wrote:
Nope, no "router".  Spectrum (Time Warner) gave me a Hitron Technologies E31N2V1 "modem".  It also has the Spectrum name embossed on the side.  The purpose of the Netgear GS608 switch is to replace any kind of wireless router.  In effect, it serves as a "wired" router.  I had a wireless router for awhile but it cut my Internet speed in half so I trashed it.
Everything I've gone through on this problem would indicate that you're probably right that the Spectrum modem only allows one IP address.  I wonder how connecting the Roku first and then the computer would over-ride that problem?  But, as I mentioned, I think if I turn off the Roku that it will lose its' Internet connection and won't be able to find it again unless I go through hooking each item up separate and the computer last.

Keep in mind that most wireless routers include LAN ports. You don’t have to use the wireless, just the LAN ports if you wish. I have a switch connected to one of my LAN ports, as I connect everything permanent via LAN cable, and use wireless for phone, tablet, and other portable devices.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
TonyinCNY--
Level 7

Oh, for crying out loud.  I thought a Switch WAS a "wired" router.  But, as I search around on the Internet I see where there is a distinct and separate animal called a WIRED ROUTER.  That's what I need as it will allow me to connect multiple devices to one IP address.  Now, I've REALLY got to thank you for explaining the difference between a switch and a router.  I'll have to check out Best Buy and Amazon to see what's available but that should really fix my problem.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"TonyinCNY--" wrote:
Oh, for crying out loud.  I thought a Switch WAS a "wired" router.  But, as I search around on the Internet I see where there is a distinct and separate animal called a WIRED ROUTER.  That's what I need as it will allow me to connect multiple devices to one IP address.  Now, I've REALLY got to thank you for explaining the difference between a switch and a router.  I'll have to check out Best Buy and Amazon to see what's available but that should really fix my problem.

They really don't make Routers that don't have Wireless. You can always get a wireless router and disable the wireless feature. Most have 4 ports on them. If you need more ports than 4 for wired devices, that is where the switch comes in.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
TonyinCNY--
Level 7

I've been thinking about your suggestion for a wireless router.  With a wireless router, I could have a second Roku upstairs without running a separate cable coax up there nor having to have a second computer.  For privacy, I could hardwire through the LAN ports, if necessary.  I see that wireless routers costs are all over the map.  But, on Amazon, I see a Medialink AC1200 wireless router with 1 WAN and 4 LAN Gigabit ports for $ 59.99.  It's got a 4.5 star rating from 727 customers.  Is there any better model than you can think of?  I refuse to buy Netgear anymore.  I got their wireless router which cut my Internet speed in half and their modem which they wouldn't update the software.  They said my ISP should update the software.  I said, "WHY, it's YOUR product."  So, I trashed both items and vowed never to buy Netgear again.
Roku has some music or sounds for sleeping at night.  You know, thunderstorms, rainfall, flowing streams etc.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

The router will also give you a basic level of security for your devices in the house.  Having your devices directly connected to the Modem isn't a good idea.

Sorry, I don't really have a recommendation on Routers.  But if the reviews look good you should be OK.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"TonyinCNY--" wrote:
I've been thinking about your suggestion for a wireless router.  With a wireless router, I could have a second Roku upstairs without running a separate cable coax up there nor having to have a second computer.  For privacy, I could hardwire through the LAN ports, if necessary.  I see that wireless routers costs are all over the map.  But, on Amazon, I see a Medialink AC1200 wireless router with 1 WAN and 4 LAN Gigabit ports for $ 59.99.  It's got a 4.5 star rating from 727 customers.  Is there any better model than you can think of?  I refuse to buy Netgear anymore.  I got their wireless router which cut my Internet speed in half and their modem which they wouldn't update the software.  They said my ISP should update the software.  I said, "WHY, it's YOUR product."  So, I trashed both items and vowed never to buy Netgear again.
Roku has some music or sounds for sleeping at night.  You know, thunderstorms, rainfall, flowing streams etc.

Many ISPs will provide a modem and router for a fee. Mine would be $10/month if I did that. That won’t be the cheapest way, but it would eliminate the blame game. I buy my own router and modem, as indicated. For my router, I use Google WiFi mesh network. It ain’t cheap, and is probably overkill for my purpose.

Anything with a good consumer rating should be fine. I usually check CNET as part of my research, but anything that you’re comfortable with would be fine.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
TonyinCNY--
Level 7

I'm glad I saw your recommendation to check out the ratings.  I thought I wanted either the Linksys EA7300 (AC1750) or the Linksys EA7500 (AC1900) since I could pick them up at Best Buy tomorrow.  The ratings on Best Buy weren't bad but I don't think any Best Buy product has any negative reviews.  I went to CNET and the Linksys systems were way down in the ALSO mentioned category.  Then, I Amazoned it and about a third of the Linksys routers have a negative review.
So, the search will continue.  Thanks to everyone for all your help.
0 Kudos
NightHawk
Level 7

They used to make wired only routers, I use to have a Linksys router with 4 ports and  no wireless until I upgraded to a wifi router a few years ago.
I sold the older Linksys etherlink router on ebay, so there may other older used routers there for sale pretty cheap if you don't need wifi.
Roku Ultra 4640R, Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810R
0 Kudos