Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TonyinCNY--
Level 7

Hard Wired Roku Problem

I USED to have the Roku and my computer connected to the same switch (which was connected to my modem) and they worked fine together.  After I disconnected the Roku from the switch to troubleshoot an Internet connection problem, the Roku won't connect to the Internet when the computer is also connected to the switch.  The Roku OR the computer connect just fine to the Internet when it is one or the other but not when both are connected at the same time.  I have a Dell computer - Netgear GS608 8-port switch - and a Roku Premiere +.  Any ideas why they won't all work together anymore when they used to?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
37 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Hard Wired Roku Problem

Maybe an IP address conflict? Can you check to see if they’re dynamically assigned? Also, if you power everything down, then power up modem, router/switch, computer, Roku, in that order, with 2-3 minutes between each, does the issue go away?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
TonyinCNY--
Level 7

I spent several hours yesterday powering everything down and up but not in any particular order.  I'll give it a try your way and let you know if it helps.  Thanks for the advice.
0 Kudos
TonyinCNY--
Level 7

Awww, it didn't work.  Here's what I did.  EVERYTHING got shut down (power cords pulled out).  Waited several minutes.  Plugged in modem and waited until the Power and Online lights were steadily lit.  Plugged in the Switch.  Saw the flashing light indicating that it was communicating with the modem.  Turned on the computer.  Saw a second flashing light on the Switch indicating it was communicating.  Plugged in the Roku.  Saw that it had a flashing light on the Switch indicating communication with the other two devices.  Ran the Roku setup as "wired".  NO CONNECTION.
It's got me baffled how it could have worked before I removed the Ethernet cable but now it won't.  I ran across something on the Internet about replacing an Ethernet cable and the Roku could then establish an Internet connection.  I'll rummage around and see if I have another cable and give it a try.  I've tried using various other ports on the Switch and they always have flashing lights indicating communication but, unfortunately, the Roku still can't establish an Internet connection.  In the meantime, if you have any other suggestions, I'd sure be willing to give them a try.  Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

IP address conflict? Are you able to see what device has what address? When you change out Roku/PC, do they have the same address?
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
TonyinCNY--
Level 7

I've seen that concept of IP address conflict brought up before in other forums but I have no idea how to check.  No, wait.  When the Roku IS connected to the Internet it displays all that address information.  I'll have to disconnect the computer and get the Roku hooked up to the Internet so I can write down that info.  But, how do I check to see what the IP address is for my computer?  And, if I do find out that there is an IP address conflict, how do I resolve the problem?  Again, it used to work fine before with both the computer and Roku hooked together but not now.  What has changed and how do I fix it?
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

If it’s a Windows computer, launch s command prompt and type ipconfig

The info will include the IP address.

How to fix? See if it’s the problem first. But it will involve logging in to your router. You may need the manual for that
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
TonyinCNY--
Level 7

Okay, here's what I've done so far and let me add that I have BOTH the Roku and the computer now hooked up to the Internet.  I'm not sure how I did that but it's happening.  I THINK I got the Roku connected to the Internet first.  Then, I had to disconnect the Roku Ethernet cable from the switch so just the computer and modem were connected to the switch.  Then, I had to reboot the modem and the computer.  That took quite awhile since I first tried rebooting just one or the other.  I finally got the computer connected to the Internet.  Then, I plugged in the Roku Ethernet cable back into the switch and now both the computer and Roku seem to be connected to the Internet.
I SUSPECT that I will have to keep the Roku constantly on to avoid losing its' Internet connection.  But, that's okay.  I'm afraid if I turn it off that it will lose its' Internet connection address and I don't want to go through all this any more than I have to.
While doing all the above, I also went into Control Panel and Internet Options and tried fussing around with stuff.  Didn't seem to help.  I also saw some advice about getting a command prompt and typing in "ipconfig /all" when just the computer was connected to the Internet in order to see what was what.  The resulting printout uses different language compared to the data from the Roku.  
Roku had an IP address, Gateway address and Ethernet MAC address.  The only thing that I saw the same was the Gateway address.  There were no other matches.
Now, I'm going to print out this message in case I have this problem in the future.  I'm 75 years old and tend to forget such things in only a matter of days.  
But, THANKS FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS.  They seem to be right on with what was done.  So, connect Roku to Internet.  Disconnect Roku cable.  Connect computer to Internet.  Reconnect Roku cable to switch and pray.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

Hey, I’m not that far behind you. You’re a Truman baby? I’m an Eisenhower baby. I know you’re going through.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

Wait...  Do you have a "Router" in there at all?  you mention a Modem -> Switch but you don't specifically state you have a Router.  A switch is essentially just a "splitter" for the network connection.  Your Internet Provider probably only allows you to get 1 or 2 IP addresses off of your modem.  A Router allows you to have multiple devices behind a SINGLE IP address assigned to your modem.

What is the model of the device you are calling your "modem"?
0 Kudos