Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruffrag
Level 7

HELP! Trying to connect Roku TV to new remote with new wifi and stuck on "Lets get started" screen

Hi- So I just moved to a new apartment in which I have to set up my ROKU TV to the new wifi. My problem is that my old remote broke and I was using the app with my phone before, until I moved and had to set it up through my new wifi. Apparently wifi doesn't automatically connect to your tv and you must have a functional remote beforehand to do so?  So, I bought the express remote and receiver thinking it would be an easy set up but the receiver doesn't seem to stay on with a light and the remote still won't connect to it. I am stuck on the "Lets get started" screen because I thought resetting the tv would help, but of course, no luck. Please help!!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HELP! Trying to connect Roku TV to new remote with new wifi and stuck on "Lets get started&

The Express remote (or any other Roku console remote) won't work with a RokuTV.  You need a remote specific to your brand of TV (TCL, Insignia, Hisense, etc.).

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
bruffrag
Level 7

Re: HELP! Trying to connect Roku TV to new remote with new wifi and stuck on "Lets get started&

So I have to get a TCL remote instead??

0 Kudos
renojim

Yep, a TCL RokuTV remote.  There are other RokuTV remotes from other manufacturers that may work, but it would be safest to get a TCL remote.  Ebay may be your best hope.  I don't know about universal remotes and RokuTVs, but @Tivoburkee  may know.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

IR Roku tv remotes from the following brands work with each other, tcl, insignia, onn, magnavox, westinghouse, jvc, sanyo, and philips. If you have a TCL roku tv stay away from Hisense and Sharp. 

You can purchase a Wifi Voice remote from Walmart $19.88 or Best buy $29.99, or even on amazon. Initially it won't work with the roku tv, it has to be paired to the tv. Walmart also has the One-For-All Streamer Remote urc-7935, works great with roku tv's. Its $24.00. Photo with roku tv voice remote:

P1010420 (800x600).jpg

Edmund

0 Kudos