Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruffrag
Level 7

HELP! Trying to connect Roku TV to new remote with new wifi and stuck on "Lets get started" screen

Hi- So I just moved to a new apartment in which I have to set up my ROKU TV to the new wifi. My problem is that my old remote broke and I was using the app with my phone before, until I moved and had to set it up through my new wifi. Apparently wifi doesn't automatically connect to your tv and you must have a functional remote beforehand to do so?  So, I bought the express remote and receiver thinking it would be an easy set up but the receiver doesn't seem to stay on with a light and the remote still won't connect to it. I am stuck on the "Lets get started" screen because I thought resetting the tv would help, but of course, no luck. Please help!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Re: HELP! Trying to connect Roku TV to new remote with new wifi and stuck on "Lets get started&

The Express remote (or any other Roku console remote) won't work with a RokuTV.  You need a remote specific to your brand of TV (TCL, Insignia, Hisense, etc.).

0 Kudos
bruffrag
Level 7

Re: HELP! Trying to connect Roku TV to new remote with new wifi and stuck on "Lets get started&

So I have to get a TCL remote instead??

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Yep, a TCL RokuTV remote.  There are other RokuTV remotes from other manufacturers that may work, but it would be safest to get a TCL remote.  Ebay may be your best hope.  I don't know about universal remotes and RokuTVs, but @Tivoburkee  may know.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 20

IR Roku tv remotes from the following brands work with each other, tcl, insignia, onn, magnavox, westinghouse, jvc, sanyo, and philips. If you have a TCL roku tv stay away from Hisense and Sharp. 

You can purchase a Wifi Voice remote from Walmart $19.88 or Best buy $29.99, or even on amazon. Initially it won't work with the roku tv, it has to be paired to the tv. Walmart also has the One-For-All Streamer Remote urc-7935, works great with roku tv's. Its $24.00. Photo with roku tv voice remote:

P1010420 (800x600).jpg

Edmund
0 Kudos