Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KensingtonMD
Level 7

HDMI to Ethernet Option?

Hello (new member here ):

I am deciding which Roku streaming product to buy.  I'm tempted by the Ultra for a variety of reasons, but especially for its option to have a wired connection to the Internet (shaky WiFi at our place).  We have an existing wired connection from the room with our computer and router to the room with the TV...but this is a hi-speed HDMI with Ethernet cable.

Is it possible to use this cable to provide a wired connection for the Roku?  If so, can anyone an adapter that would allow it to plug-in to the router and to the Roku Ultra's ethernet port?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
wildsprite
Level 7

Re: HDMI to Ethernet Option?

don't quote me on this but I'm 99% certain no Roku devices do Ethernet over HDMI. 
I'm pretty sure on this but I would love it of it was a thing and someone corrected me on it.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I know of none. Ethernet over HDMI requires specific hardware at both ends of the HDMI cable. and no Roku player has such hardware. I am unaware of any adapters that could overcome this limitation. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
KensingtonMD
Level 7

"wildsprite" wrote:
don't quote me on this but I'm 99% certain no Roku devices do Ethernet over HDMI. 
I'm pretty sure on this but I would love it of it was a thing and someone corrected me on it.

Thank you for the quick feedback!  Maybe someone out there can help us all out.
0 Kudos
KensingtonMD
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
I know of none. Ethernet over HDMI requires specific hardware at both ends of the HDMI cable. and no Roku player has such hardware. I am unaware of any adapters that could overcome this limitation. 

Thank you for the quick feedback!  Maybe someone out there can help us all out.
0 Kudos