Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

HDMI, if I use an HDMI cable can I lower the bandwidth so my internet bill is cheaper? Thanks

if I use an HDMI cable can I lower the bandwidth so my internet bill is cheaper? Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: HDMI, if I use an HDMI cable can I lower the bandwidth so my internet bill is cheaper? Thanks

No. 

"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: HDMI, if I use an HDMI cable can I lower the bandwidth so my internet bill is cheaper? Thanks

@boomajamma wrote:

if I use an HDMI cable can I lower the bandwidth so my internet bill is cheaper? Thanks

Really not sure what you're thinking of. The HDMI cable carries the video and audio signal from the Roku to the display. The only possible place an HDMI cable could reduce your Internet bandwidth use is if you have a 4K TV and use a cable that isn't certified for 18 Gbps, so you would have to set your Roku for 1080 output. However, you can set it to 1080 regardless of what your HDMI cable supports. Also, unless you're constantly streaming 4K material from Netflix or Amazon, changing your video resolution to 1080 will have little to no impact on your Internet usage. Reducing the display setting to 720 might reduce it some more, but again not by a significant amount. A router that has bandwidth throttling is likely the only method of making any significant reduction in your bandwidth usage. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos