Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robman501a
Level 7

Getting the max throughput on a 5GHz network

I just purchased an Asus RT-AC1900P router and installed the Merlin firmware and I was wondering how I can optimize my 5 GHz for the best performance possible with my Roku stick. 

I don't know if any of you guys know your advanced wifi settings.
What is the network radio of the Roku stick like? All I know is that runs on the 802.11n, 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. It doesn't say the max data rate or how wide the channel bandwidth is.

Is there anything that I should change? 
My internet service is 40 Mbps down / 10 Mbps up.

Advanced:

Basic:

Own 2x Roku Streaming Stick (Model 3600X) connected to the home theater receivers HDMI port
0 Kudos
14 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Getting the max throughput on a 5GHz network

For streaming anything from the Internet, you really don't need to optimize anything, since your Internet speed is far below the typical connection capabilities of 802.11AC on 5 GHz. Even if you're planning on streaming local content, you would rarely see streams higher than 60-70 Mbps. That said, I have a UHD movie rip that will exceed 110 Mbps, so if that's in your future you certainly want the best performance you can get.
Looking at your settings, the only thing you might look at is the bandwidth setting. Yours is on 40 MHz. I don't have an AC router, so can't say what other options might be available. You could always experiment with that setting, but everything else already looks pretty well configured.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
robman501a
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
For streaming anything from the Internet, you really don't need to optimize anything, since your Internet speed is far below the typical connection capabilities of 802.11AC on 5 GHz. Even if you're planning on streaming local content, you would rarely see streams higher than 60-70 Mbps. That said, I have a UHD movie rip that will exceed 110 Mbps, so if that's in your future you certainly want the best performance you can get.
Looking at your settings, the only thing you might look at is the bandwidth setting. Yours is on 40 MHz. I don't have an AC router, so can't say what other options might be available. You could always experiment with that setting, but everything else already looks pretty well configured.

Well... Netflix is streaming an HD movie at 7.02 Mbps (was 5.36 Mbps with my older Netgear WNDR3700v1). I don't own any AC devices .... yet. Might add an AC adapter to the laptop to take advantage of the AC speeds but if the Roku stick only runs at 802.11n speeds... than that's not going to work very well. lol
As for the bandwidth options I have; 20 MHz, 40 MHz and 80 MHz but I wonder if 80 MHz is intended for AC use.
Own 2x Roku Streaming Stick (Model 3600X) connected to the home theater receivers HDMI port
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Which Stick do you have? The original (purple) and first update (black, model 3600) support 5 GHz, but only 11N. The latest model Stick (3800 and 3810) support 11AC. Netflix maxes out at 16 Mbps with 4K HDR material, so you're fine there. I've seen YouTube 4K video exceed 40 Mbps, and that was when I only had a 50 Mbps connection. I've heard someone else say they'be seen even higher with a faster connection. I agree that 80 MHz might be be for AC only.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
robman501a
Level 7

My sticks are the black ones that I got from Best Buy for $49. Smiley Happy That was the only stick that they had at that time.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"robman501a" wrote:
My sticks are the black ones that I got from Best Buy for $49. Smiley Happy That was the only stick that they had at that time.

But after the purple one they're all black. Which model is yours? Is it a recent purchase?
Dan
0 Kudos
robman501a
Level 7

I've got the 3600X model.
0 Kudos
AndyCalling
Level 7

Your stick has n wifi, not ac. Beyond that, well min/maxing your wifi connection is incredibly complex to talk someone through. Not the least because the right setup and settings are very dependent on your environment. I recommend you get a good wifi scanner app and start reading up about the wonderful world of n wifi. There is a lot to read, and it's easily found online. Any half way competent response you get on here would have to be a full essay. That won't happen.
0 Kudos
robman501a
Level 7

The one stick is at an 'excellent' connection on the 5GHz network but the other one is coming up as 'good'. Will increasing the wifi signal help to boost the data rates? 
As for the channel, everything is on 40 MHz wide and I can't tell if the channels are free because my laptop wifi only works on the 2.4Ghz band.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

On the 5GHz band I usually find the signal level isn't as critical, as long as it's in the good range. Mostly because there is far less interference in that frequency band. 2.4 GHz is really cluttered with far more than just wireless routers. Also, because the physical size of the electromagnetic wave is so small, sometimes moving your router a matter of inches can alter the received signal. All you can do really is experiment. 
Dan
0 Kudos