Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Force Stick+ to use 5G connection instead of 2.4G?

As long as everything works without buffering or other issues, I am happy with the slow speed.

Even when running at 2.4Ghz my speed was slow.

My choices for Internet in suburbia was either ATT with max speed of 100mbs or Cox at the same speed.

ATT was the choice due to the lower amount of customer complaints...

You would think that in an area of 65,000 people there would be more and better choices..

Bill

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

A while ago, I found a chart on the web that shows Roku devices that work at 5GHZ do not like 5g channels from 52 to 144.  It suggests using the lower channels (36-48) and highest (149-165) Since you changed to 157 and are now working, perhaps the chart is correct.

Here's the site.  If it helps someone, give the guy a thank you.

https://sites.google.com/a/mikealbano.com/clients/home

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Rokus with 5GHz don't support the DFS (dynamic frequency selection) channels (52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 132, and 136). DFS channels are shared with other uses such as weather radar. Routers supporting these channels must be able to detect such licensed use in your vicinity and automatically switch you to another channel. Some router manufacturers don't include this capability and so don't support those channels at all. That leaves the following non-DFS channels that Rokus and virtually all 5GHz routers DO support: 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, and 161.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
Highlighted
Level 7

If you're on FIOS gateway that uses the same SSID for both speeds, then it's really quite easy to force the 5G connection. Just block the ROKU MAC address from connecting to the 2.4G in the Router's WiFi settings.

Step by step instructions here
https://rnitfactor.blogspot.com/2019/12/roku-force-5g-connection.html

Enjoy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

SOLVED: I was having the same problem. My WIFI 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz have the same SSID. I remember when I first installed the Roku it was using always the 5Ghz. But after disconnecting the USB power from the provided power supply (5V 1.0A) and connecting on the TV's USB (5V 0.5A), the Roku was working fine and powering on/off on along with the TV (cool). However **bleep** was only connecting to the 2.4Ghz. Then I connected it back to the provided power adapter and bingo. Now it always connects to the 5Ghz. Looks like Roku is smart enough to save resources to be able to work with the lower ampere provided by the **bleep** TV's USB. This is a great feature of Roku, but by the lack of documentation we start thinking that Roku has some problem.

I have also an old FireStick dual band which i replaced by Roku. It worked fine, but I hate the amazon's enforcement of their own content, and I won't subscribe to prime, no mater what. The FireStick won't even complete the boot if I connect it on the TV's USB, it will enter an infinite reboot loop, what means the FireStick is not as smart as Roku to adjust the resources when connected to a low current power supply like most TV's have (5V 0.5A). FireStick will only work on 1.0A or >.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

On your AP (access point), you can separate the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks. You can change the SSIDs (names) of the networks bu adding a 5 at the end of the 5ghz network or a 2 at the end of the 2.4ghz network. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

My router allowed me to created a separate 5G-only "guest" network which I am now using for my streaming stick+.  Many routers provide this functionality. Look for Guest network, Additional AP, Virtual AP, or the like.

I had to enable the "Allow Guest To Access My Local Network" option to allow smartphones to cast YouTube videos to the Roku.

Works perfectly to keep streaming stick+ on 5G band.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Has there been any update on this? I don’t want to separate my bands, but I’d like my Roku to prefer my AC network.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@jacobrich wrote:

Has there been any update on this? I don’t want to separate my bands, but I’d like my Roku to prefer my AC network.

Well, in theory they are supposed to go with the "best" connection. But for this reason, as well as some other devices doing the same thing, I've long ago used different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. It's the only absolute way to ensure which band you're using. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos