Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Force Stick+ to use 5G connection instead of 2.4G?

I was going to suggest turning the 2.4 radio off, but I see you did that. Bummer you can't use different SSIDs for the two radios. As to what speed a Roku might be capable of on 5GHz, I have no idea. in theory a 802.11AC connection should be capable of 1 Gbps or more, but I doubt any Roku could handle that much data. So far I haven't been able to get any of my Roku devices to playback my UHD movie rips without buffering. Those movies are about 80 Mbps, with peaks of around 130 Mbps. My 5 GHz access points don't seem to make a difference, and in fact shows a slightly slower speed than when connected via Ethernet. I suspect it's my network, not the Roku players or TVs. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
sclawrenc
Level 7

I also have one SSID broadcasting for both the 2.4 and 5 ghz bands.  This is common practice with wifi mesh systems like the Orbi that I have.

I also want to ensure the Stick+ connects to the 5ghz band, but it will always connect to the 2.4 ghz band even when close enough to get adequate 5 ghz signal.  

I created a separate discussion today before I saw this one.  Anyone have any solutions on how to ensure the Stick+ connects to the 5 ghz band short of turning off the 2.4 ghz?

Thanks

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

@sclawrenc wrote:

Anyone have any solutions on how to ensure the Stick+ connects to the 5 ghz band short of turning off the 2.4 ghz?

Nope, doesn't seem to be any way to do it. For me, the solution is to use different SSIDs. But I know that doesn't work for everyone. But there's no function on the Roku to select a preferred band. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
sclawrenc
Level 7

My Orbi system doesn’t officially support separate ssid for each band. There used to be a set of telnet commands to accomplish this, but they closed that ability in a recent firmware.

Frustrating on why the stick + won’t auto prioritize the 5 ghz band or at least give us a way to prioritize the 5 ghz band.

Thanks
0 Kudos
ACZU
Level 7

In your Router/Access Point, you can try adding the MAC address of your Roku as a "deny access" rule in the MAC filter for the 2.4GHz radio.  This will theoretically force the Roku to connect to the 5GHz radio instead. Practically though, it has sometimes refused to connect to the 5GHz radio because it keeps trying the 2.4 radio. You may have to reboot roku and/or AP to get it to work.  Also try starting AP first, then Roku, or vice-versa to make this trick work.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

In general, your Roku player will connect to the radio frequency with the best received signal strength. If the received signal strength is higher from the 2.4GHz radio, your device will connect to it instead of 5GHz. 

Any other thoughts or suggestions—feel free to share in the 'Suggest a Feature' board. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
okaussie3
Level 9

I turned the 2.4GHZ off on the router.  The WIFI Extender I use does not give the option of turning anything off so it is still on.  I am still using channel 157 on the router and I, now, am not having any issues.  Everything on my wifi works on 5GHZ better than 2.4GHZ so I am going to leave it alone.

However, I find it interesting that I can turn on and off the radios in my router and not on the wifi extender.  If I could turn that one off all the better...

BTW, the wifi extender is 3 feet away from the ROKU and the extender is 15 feet from the router..

Bill

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

18 feet from the router? You sure shouldn't need an extender for that short of a range. I have access points at both ends of my home, but I can connect to either from any device in the house, and that includes from the basement to the top of the 2nd floor. Most routers offer control of the radio power. You might check and make sure yours isn't set at a reduced level for some reason. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
okaussie3
Level 9

I have the 5268ac router, since I have ATT as my service.  Their tech support people state only a 20 foot range with it and it has to go through two walls to get to my living room.

My wife has a Kindle Fire and the Kindle keeps dropping the wifi connection and has low signal strength in the living room.

That's why I got the extender. 

The problem has been resolved with this extender and is now running on the 5GHZ band without issues.

Since the problem was fixed, I decided to run everything on the 5GHZ and have yet to have a buffering or any other issue with the Roku.

The only thing I need now is another TV remote and Roku remote for the wife so we have two of everything in the living room..

Now the question is, Since I am running at 100mbs now,  why does the Roku only show 57mbs at best for a connection speed???

Bill

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

20 feet is pretty poor performance, even passing through walls. But it is what it is, and you're stuck with what they provide you. 

As far as reported speed, My Ultra is wired to a Gigabit network with a 90 Mbps Internet connection. It never reports much higher than 50-60 Mbps. No idea why, but Roku boxes have never reported their network speed accurately. Back when there was a private channel that worked with the Speedtest.org network, it never reported anywhere close to my actual Internet speed. 

Dan
0 Kudos