Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Feature Request: Gig+ 1-5 Gbps Ethernet on 2020 Roku Ultra

Feature Request: Gig+ (1-5 Gbps) Ethernet on 2020 Roku Ultra

7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: Feature Request: Gig+ 1-5 Gbps Ethernet on 2020 Roku Ultra

@JamesAndersonJr wrote:

Feature Request: Gig+ (1-5 Gbps) Ethernet on 2020 Roku Ultra

Ethernet is an outdated technology!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

I think what you are asking for cannot be done merely by updating the firmware.  I believe it would require a hardware update, so it cannot happen on existing models.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted

@C_I 

Hmmm...I guess that's why 2.5-5 Gbps Ethernet has just recently been ratified and just now being released into consumer electronics and devices such as PC motherboards. Please do your homework before you make ignorant uninformed statements. 🙄

Highlighted
Level 17

Nice way to respond to somebody giving of his time to try to help a stranger.

Source: https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra

Networking
802.11ac MIMO dual-band wireless
10/100 Base-T Ethernet

No Gigabit-capable hardware present.

Time to look in mirror, son.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@makaiguy  I was directing my reply to @C_I ; NOT you. And my reply may have been a little crude and unpolished, because he was directing not only me but other people to an erroneous conclusion. But anyway, in regards to your reply. I think you may be referring to the 2019 version, as I am unaware that the 2020 version has been released yet. If so, my feature request was meant for the next hardware revision. Not merely a firmware update. I am already aware you cannot upgrade the Ethernet version merely via a software or firmware update.

Highlighted
Level 17

@JamesAndersonJr wrote:

@makaiguy  I was directing my reply to @C_I ; NOT you. And my reply may have been a little crude and unpolished, because he was directing not only me but other people to an erroneous conclusion. But anyway, in regards to your reply. I think you may be referring to the 2019 version, as I am unaware that the 2020 version has been released yet. If so, my feature request was meant for the next hardware revision. Not merely a firmware update. I am already aware you cannot upgrade the Ethernet version merely via a software or firmware update.

Sorry, I should have realized that.  A quote of the message being replied-to goes a long way toward eliminating ambiguity but this [blasted] forum software doesn't make that especially easy.

I agree, your request is valid for any device with an Ethernet port, which limits it to the Ultra in the current product line.  10/100 T is adequate for virtually anything being streamed in from the internet, but can be too limiting for high def stuff off one's own system.

The link I supplied is to the current offering, as far as I know.  It doesn't mention year or model number but currently does mention the $30 off sale that is in force at the moment.  I don't think I've ever seen them mention the year in referring to a product; Roku has the unfortunate habit of reusing identical product names and relying on an obscure model number for differentiation.  Including a release number in the product name works for mobile phones, why not for Roku?

They don't typically announce plans beforehand, so as far as I know, it's a mystery whether they'll even have a 2020 Ultra release.  The current sale prices on several models may indicated they're trying to clear out inventory prior to a fall release, though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

@JamesAndersonJr wrote:

@C_I 

Hmmm...I guess that's why 2.5-5 Gbps Ethernet has just recently been ratified and just now being released into consumer electronics and devices such as PC motherboards. Please do your homework before you make ignorant uninformed statements. 🙄

umm- what's old is new again- Ethernet ports did exist in computer motherboards 20-30 something years ago- even though they are releasing newer, faster versions of an older technology. You need to cite your sources before making claims. I go on CNET  a lot and I've seen nothing about this 

0 Kudos