Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vinks
Level 7

Fast ISP slow Roku (sometimes)

I have looked through this forum for days and haven't found anyone with quite the same problem, so I started a new topic. I have two Roku boxes and recently started experiencing slowdown issues with Netflix, Amazon and TED channels (all the channels I use). The slowing occurs only at certain times of day, starting in the early evening. My internet connection is fast, 20-25 Mbps on all my computers, but the Roku speed (debuggging enabled) drops from a maximum of 17-18 Mbps to 1.3 Mbps or lower. The problem occurs on both Rokus and I have tried everything I can think of, changing DNS, resetting router and reloading firmware, resetting Roku box, etc. The problem even occurs when the Roku is the only device connected to the cable modem. I have contacted the cable company and they say that there is nothing they can do since my internet connection is fast. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
mikebdoss
Level 7

Re: Fast ISP slow Roku (sometimes)

"Vinks" wrote:
I have looked through this forum for days and haven't found anyone with quite the same problem, so I started a new topic. I have two Roku boxes and recently started experiencing slowdown issues with Netflix, Amazon and TED channels (all the channels I use). The slowing occurs only at certain times of day, starting in the early evening. My internet connection is fast, 20-25 Mbps on all my computers, but the Roku speed (debuggging enabled) drops from a maximum of 17-18 Mbps to 1.3 Mbps or lower. The problem occurs on both Rokus and I have tried everything I can think of, changing DNS, resetting router and reloading firmware, resetting Roku box, etc. The problem even occurs when the Roku is the only device connected to the cable modem. I have contacted the cable company and they say that there is nothing they can do since my internet connection is fast. Does anyone have any suggestions?


The problem is very likely not with you, but with the internet path to your content providers. The fact that it happens most starting in the early evening is good evidence of this. If I had to guess, I'd bet you're on the type of internet connection that slows down when your neighbors are using it as well. Another possibility, if your Rokus are connected wirelessly, is that neighbors Wifi/blenders/microwaves slow down your connection via interference. You can try to fix this by changing your wireless channel on your router, or connecting via wire if possible.
0 Kudos
Vinks
Level 7

Re: Fast ISP slow Roku (sometimes)

About two years ago, I switched from an ISP that slowed way down at around 5PM when everyone started watching TV, but that affected both browsing and Roku speeds. When the Roku slowdown occurs now, I am still getting very fast speeds on all my computers and can stream HD Netflix on the computer with no trouble. Also, both Rokus are hard wired.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 7

Re: Fast ISP slow Roku (sometimes)

"Vinks" wrote:
About two years ago, I switched from an ISP that slowed way down at around 5PM when everyone started watching TV, but that affected both browsing and Roku speeds. When the Roku slowdown occurs now, I am still getting very fast speeds on all my computers and can stream HD Netflix on the computer with no trouble. Also, both Rokus are hard wired.


Your problem may be further downstream, then - everyone's home around the same time, which explains why you're still having problems only certain times of the day. Having both Rokus hardwired eliminates a lot of the common problems (wireless issues), and since your problems are time-specific, it's very likely not you. Remember that your PC connects to a different content delivery network server than your Roku (and likely at a lower bitrate) so comparing them doesn't always give you useful results.

Another thing you can try is switching from your ISP's DNS service to Google's, and see if taking a different path to the CDNs helps you out. Full instructions are available at https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/.
0 Kudos
jmulrain
Level 7

Re: Fast ISP slow Roku (sometimes)

Hi guys,

I am having the same problem as well. For the past 4 months after 5pm until 1 am I am experiencing the loading issues as well. My speedtest result seems fine as well. during the day there is no problem. My ISP provider is a cable internet company. Many of my friends are having the same problem with teh same ISP provider. I am in contact with one of their IT senio engineers. What information can I relay to him?
0 Kudos
rdesgr
Level 7

Re: Fast ISP slow Roku (sometimes)

I've been having the same problem for over a year now on 2 Rokus (one 5 years old and the second, 3 years); one is in my home and another at my girlfriend's house. Both are connected by ethernet to Internet services with speeds of about 20 Mbps.

I have the "playback debugging" turned on to give me the download speed info. Up until a year ago, I could watch Netflix with Roku showing a download capability of 10 to 20 Mbps. Now, it randomly has the capability of 1.0 to 3.0 Mbps, sometimes giving the message that it can't play due to the download speed.

So far, the only fix has been to reset the Roku box: unplugging then plugging the power source. Roke then usually returns to 10 to 12 Mbps.

This crappy issue - and Roku's outstanding lack of tech support - is keeping me from buying any more Roku units.
0 Kudos
iptvrules
Level 7

Re: Fast ISP slow Roku (sometimes)

The slowness the OP describes is most likely due to slow content provider servers not being able to keep up during very busy times.
0 Kudos
knuckle
Level 7

Re: Fast ISP slow Roku (sometimes)

if you can look up the exact ip address you are using for that netflix CDN and block it you may find that your DNS can find you a faster server
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos
Vinks
Level 7

Re: Fast ISP slow Roku (sometimes)

I don't know if this will help anyone solve anything, but the problem resolved itself about a month and a half ago. When I first noticed that everything seemed to work ok, I went to speediest.net and found that it searched for nearby servers in Nebraska rather than Oregon where we actually are, presumably our cable company started using different servers for a time. (?) Now everything is back to normal and speedtest thinks we are back in Oregon again.
0 Kudos
rdesgr
Level 7

Re: Fast ISP slow Roku (sometimes)

"knuckle" wrote:
if you can look up the exact ip address you are using for that netflix CDN and block it you may find that your DNS can find you a faster server


After I posted, I began wondering about the DNS routing. So I've changed my router to use OpenDNS. I'll report back if there is no improvement.
0 Kudos