Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: Roku Device Problems

"daldouglas1970" wrote:
I have had a Roku device for several months. It has worked fine during this time but now I am getting the "cannot connect to the internet" error. I have looked at firewall settings, network channels, and DNS. Unfortunately when I try to change the DNS my network will no longer work. I am really frustrated because it USED to work. Anyway... any suggestions?

Thanks,
David

Dumb question: Have you told the Roku Box setup to reconfigure the network and pick the same type of connection you currently have? Last time my Roku box was complaining about the Internet connection, forcing it to go through the checklist cleared it up.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: FAQ: Networking 101 and your Roku Player

Thank you for the tip about using Open DNS I tried that and the Roku box works great now. Previously it had been working using the DNS provided by my ISP but every once in a while it would have trouble connecting, A OK now.
Roku 3 Wired Connection
Roku2 XS Ser # 13A16Y000098 2.4Ghz Wireless Connection
Linksys E3000 router DD-WRT SVN 14929
Connected via HDMI to Hitachi LE55U516 TV and Yamaha RX-A3050
Cable Internet Connection 150Mbs
0 Kudos
Level 7

Double NAT, QoS

double Nat
------------
There's nothing theoretically bad about a double-NAT connection.
Since it's a slightly more complicated networking topology, it
may bring some bugs in your router, modem, etc. to the surface,
but apart from that, there's nothing else bad about it. The performance
impact is negligible. Personally, I try to avoid double-NAT'S, but there's many situations you just can't get around. DSL's are the #1 example.
DSL providers are migrating/already migrated to a combined DSL modem/
router unit which does the PPPoE termination, so it's a DHCP-able
straight ethernet output which'll plug directly into your PC without the
need for special DSL software. Some of these units have limitations on
their DHCP, etc, so you have to add an additional router in a double-NAT
config. No way around it. Yes, I've tried setting up routers in a non-router/bridge mode (use router as switch only: don't use Internet port,
disable DHCP, or play with router's IP/subnet address), and this
sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

QoS
-----
Most low-end routers, like the ones most people buy, don't have any
QoS settings.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Wirelessly Networking Roku to AirPort Extreme Base Station

I have no problem networking my Roku to my AirPort via ethernet but can't seem to network it wirelessly. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
0 Kudos
Level 8

Re: Wirelessly Networking Roku to AirPort Extreme Base Stati

"mike3279" wrote:
I have no problem networking my Roku to my AirPort via ethernet but can't seem to network it wirelessly. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

What encryption method are you using, and have you triple-checked the password?
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!
0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Wirelessly Networking Roku to AirPort Extreme Base Stati

"wideasleep1" wrote:
"mike3279" wrote:

Thanks in advance,

Mike

What encryption method are you using, and have you triple-checked the password?

WPA2 but nevermind, after triple-checking the password, I got it. Thanks for reminding me.

Mike
0 Kudos
Level 7

After reading your excellent discourse on the subject, I fired up a command prompt and ran the traceroute. I discovered an errant private IP address 10.128.xxx.xxx between my router's private IP and the internet... called my provider (Cox Cable) and discovered that the cable modem is using the 10.128.xxx.xxx address as my 'private' address and performing the translation from the public IP address (72.xxx.xxx.xxx)...

This does not appear to be having any negative/degrading effect on my Roku/Netflix viewing, but is something to watch for.

Thanks again for an excellent post!
0 Kudos
Level 7

Problem and solution:

The power went out... After everything came back on the Roku would not connect. I tried turning everything off and back on, reseting, even reset to factory settings. I have Linksys wireless router. The Roku would connect to the network but not the internet.

Anyway I searched google to find the ip address for the Linksys rounter configuration... I changed the name of the router and all of a sudden the Roku worked...

Hope this helps the next person that has this problem...
0 Kudos
Level 7

Which ports must be open to get Roku Video player to work?

Above it is mentioned that the player uses TCP ports 80 and 443 and UDP port 53. I tried opening those with the Roku connected to my Belkin home router. Still I get the dreaded "can't connect to local network" message,
and the DoS message logged by my router.

My workaround is to turn off the firewall function and set the Roku as the "DMZ" machine...

But I'd like to know which ports are really required and/or what's really going on here.

thanks,
Bob.TT
0 Kudos
Level 7

"DukeJohn" wrote:
Problem and solution:

The power went out... After everything came back on the Roku would not connect. I tried turning everything off and back on, reseting, even reset to factory settings. I have Linksys wireless router. The Roku would connect to the network but not the internet.

Anyway I searched google to find the ip address for the Linksys rounter configuration... I changed the name of the router and all of a sudden the Roku worked...

Hope this helps the next person that has this problem...

I, too, have a Linksys router but have not been able to connect to the internet with the Roku since day one. What do you mean, specifically, that you changed the name of the router?

Thanks!
0 Kudos