Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: FAQ: Networking 101 and your Roku Player

Oh, no, I meant I tried those numbers, one at a time, in the "IP address" field to assign a static IP to my router. It insisted on assigning Static IP to the router (not the Rokus) along with DNS--there was no option to just assign DNS numbers, which turned out to be the problem all along.

We finally figured since we'd tried EVERYTHING else, to just break down and buy a router (Belkin N600DB) and use the modem/router as a bridge. I've got them hooked up and the OpenDNS numbers plugged in and of course everything is working perfectly now.

Still no idea why this was suddenly an issue out of nowhere after 2+ years, but I guess I'm just glad it's fixed. That was three long, head-banging days.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Just wanted to share an App by Netgear I used to troubleshoot my wireless setup. http://www.netgear.com/landing/en-us/netgear-genie.aspx I was able to make changes to my router and see what if any difference it made with all my Roku boxes concerning signal strength and link rate. I found out channel bonding didn't work well for me and that channel 11 was best for my setup.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Does the Roku support channel bonding on any version? I know it appears at least compatible but does it benefit from it? Thanks.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Quick question:

If I plug an external hard drive into the USB port of a Roku 2 XS that's connected to my home network would the drive be accessible (read/write) by the other computers on the network?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"Endlessknight" wrote:
Quick question:

If I plug an external hard drive into the USB port of a Roku 2 XS that's connected to my home network would the drive be accessible (read/write) by the other computers on the network?

No.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

"Gilgamesh" wrote:
"Endlessknight" wrote:
Quick question:

No.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad I asked first, this is a total deal breaker for me. I hope they add this feature in the Roku 3 (or whatever it will be called)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Don't know if this is the right place to ask a networking question - but here it goes:
Just bought a Roku 2 XD, installed it, andgot to where I am entering the router passwd on the Roku setup menu. I entered it correctly, and it connects to teh "wireless network" but won't connect to the "local network".
I use Verizon FiOS, and have 2 computers connected to the network. They don't communicate with each other through the network. I can't get any farther in the setup process without being able to connect to the "local" network. Roku is located right next to my router. Let me know if you need more info.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I apologize if this question was asked and answered previously but I did a search and it did not pop up as asked...

I recently bought a Roku XS and hooked it up wirelessly via my Airport Extreme without a problem. Netflix, etc. stream just fine. However, I am also trying to pass connectivity through to my non-wireless equipped blu-ray player via an ethernet cable and I cannot connect. The player connects just fine using a Linksys wireless gaming adapter.

Networking, obviously, is not my specialty. Any suggestions??
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"Nohav" wrote:
I recently bought a Roku XS and hooked it up wirelessly via my Airport Extreme without a problem. Netflix, etc. stream just fine.

Congrats your Roku is working fine.

"Nohav" wrote:
However, I am also trying to pass connectivity through to my non-wireless equipped blu-ray player via an ethernet cable and I cannot connect.

You can not pass through connectivity to any other device from your Roku. The rj45 port on the back is to connect your Roku to your network via a wired connection, not for connecting other devices to your network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: sharing my network & router tweaks as of today

Updated 26 Jan 2013, changes in blue
Just to add some info from my ongoing experience of trying to optimize my wireless router (Linksys WRT120N, firmware version recently upgraded to 10.0.07) with our new Roku XS, uprgraded from a Roku LT (which strangely enough, seemed to have fewer problems re-loading, stalling etc).

I did disable the WRT120N Router's firewall since the main DSL modem itself has a built-in firewall. The wifi router is hardwired/ethernet cabled into the hardwired aDSL modem/router (older one, from 2009).

Before disabling it, I ran the port scan/probe tests at GRC.com Shield's Up using my tablet browser since the tablet is connected to the same wifi network as the Roku XS to make sure all was 'stealth'/all green squares -- check and true.

Next I disabled the wifi router firewall only, restarted everything, then I ran port scan/probe tests again GRC.com Shield's Up, again using the tablet browser and all the results were again perfect, meaning my DSL hardwired modem/router's built-in firewall works fine and the wifi router's firewall is not needed.

I tweaked some of the wifi router's setttings, did some experiementation of network speeds using the debug menu for the roku and so far, the best, Not perfect, results come from turning off the firewall and tweaking the basic setup defaults to:

Basic Setup> Internet Setup >
Internet Connection Type > = Static IP

via my desktop browser set my wifi router settings to static IP, i just keep/use the WAN settings as shown when clicking from auto DHCP to static (192.168.2.2)
255.255.255.0 remains in the subnet,
I entered the DSL modem (192.168.2.1) as the gateway
Static DNS 1: 8.8.8.8 =Google
Static DNS 2: 8.8.4.4 =Google
Static DNS 3: a sprint dns recommended through re-running GRC DNS Nameserver Benchmark; sprint actually came in a close second and 8.8.4.4 was a close 3rd, but on my desktop I have this order so I'm keeping it consistent here too. assume it's one closer to us but haven't checked location yet; others in our ISP came in pretty high.

Note: I use 1Password so it's quick & easy for me to save every modification to a different 'login' in order to systematically test my variations; I can keep notes in each one, dates, and don't have to hand write a bunch of stuff that I'll lose anyway Smiley LOL ).

MTU = manual (1500)
Host Name:
Domain Name: [both are blank]

NEXT SECTION SAME BASIC SETUP PAGE
Network Setup > Router IP keeps the router IP /subnet as is

DHCP Server Setting keeps the DHCP Server: Enabled
Max users: 10 (was 50)
Client lease time: default of 1440

if DHCP Server is enabled/automatic, you probably don't need to mess with this, esp if you don't know what it all means:
> DHCP Reservation button pops up configurable list > Static DHCP Table >
DHCP Reservation > Select Clients from DHCP Tables
already Lists what's connected on the LAN so I checkmarked to auto add the Roku, tablet, imac, laptop MACs; there's a spot to manually enter and assign IP address if need be or if needs to be
all already have different IP addresses automatically assigned, so I kept those, auto -added them, figuring it makes it faster for the router to recognize them when already Reserved.

exactly the same Static DNS settings as above:
Static DNS 1: 8.8.8.8
Static DNS 2: 8.8.4.4
Static DNS 3: a sprint dns

It has a WINS slot, but we are mainly Mac os x users, so it =0.0.0.0

Setup > Advanced Routing > Dynamic Routing (RIP) =enabled

So far this is working 'better' (not perfectly) in terms of consistently getting at least 1.2 thruput to the Roku and more consistently showing anywhere from 1.6, 1.8, 3.9, 4.4, 6.x mbps and above, even up to 10mpbs occasionally as the network speed when using the network speed debug features (see elsewhere). Guessing that we get better numbers at night due to less than stellar ISP oversubscribing the pipes (or 'tubes' as some like to say Smiley Wink ).

add'l settings

Applications & Gaming > ]QoS > WMM = enabled always enabled
Internet Access Priority = Disabled
Altho, I'm going back & forth in this section sometimes enabling it
and when it's enabled choosing --
I am going to also try going back to high later tonight since I re-tweaked the DNS above last night, or possibly will even keep it disabled in case it's not actually helping based on other suggestions I've read. will update this if i notice real changes.
Basic Wireless Settings > Configuration View = Manual
> Network Mode = Wireless-N only (for now), was mixed
> Channel Width =40 MHz only (was 20, trying this to see if better)
> Wide Channel = Auto
> SSID Broadcast = Enabled

Wireless Settings > Wireless Security > Wireless MAC Filter = enabled
Permit listed computers to access wireless network = enabled
Wireless Client List:
MAC 01 =roku MAC
MAC 02 =tablet MAC
MAC 03 =imac MAC not sure if I need this in addtion to the airport MAC b/c now imac is only a LAN connection not WLAN so this may get removed if not needed when I connect airport eventually as a test. Mainly I will only have the Roku and tablet actually connected to the Wireless Network (WLAN)
MAC 04 =laptop MAC
MAC 05 =imac Airport MAC
MAC 06 thru 32 = 00:00:00:00:00:00

I also added those MACs to the
Access Restrictions > Applied PCs > Edit List (button) > Internet Access PC list popup section (using browser on my Linksys interface; diff routers use diff organization/categories).

Security > Firewall > SPI Firewall Protection = DISABLED
We do also use firewall software on the main desktops and laptops, just fyi.

Hope this might help someone else.

Our DSL is supposed to be 10MBps. The wifi router is one room away, with a wall|closet|wall/door in between it and the roku. It sits up approx 5ft 8in on a box on a chrome wire shelf unit. The roku is on its side and on box on a 72in high chrome wire shelf unit. My connectivity says excellent on the splash screen/settings. But hafta admit, since upgrading to the XS, have had many more connectivity/quality problems than the good ole little LT.

Note: for all I know, upgrading the firmware did part of the trick Smiley LOL

cheers to all ! feedback welcome :mrgreen:

1st Orig UPDATE
definitely having some loading, stalling, re-loading, slow slow slow issues after disabling QoS where I had roku using MAC address and priority=medium

I had re-enabled QoS > MAC address > used the roku xs mac address, set to high, but didn't help/may have worsened applet on laptop, so I used it last night to get/tweak the above DNS settings

:mrgreen:
0 Kudos