Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
joshuahorst
Level 7

Re: FAQ: Networking 101 and your Roku Player

ok I have tried everything and still cant get roku to connect. It finds my wireless I enter the password then it shows connecting to wirelss network and its green then it says connecting to local network and thats when it poo's out on me. I am using a netgear wgr614. I made sure before I ordered the Roku LT that the router was on the approved wireless list. Been reading these forums and doing whatothers have tried and still nothing. I am getting very pissed. I am sure its something I am missing but lord knows what it is. Help please!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
dwanthny
Level 8

"joshuahorst" wrote:
Been reading these forums and doing whatothers have tried and still nothing.

Stating that you are "doing whatothers have tried" doesn't help, you should outline exactly what you have tried.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
cdeviney
Level 7

Not using GUEST on my Netgear router solved "connecting to local network" problem.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
hunterjenn
Level 7

1. Roku1 or Roku2 (or both): Roku 1 XD and 1 HD
2. Router Make/Model:
2.5 Cable Modem Make/Model: Motorola SBG6580
3. Wired/Wireless: Wireless, but we've tried ethernet to test
4. Have you done a hard or factory reset?: Yes
5. Does it only happen at a particular time/day?: No
6. Downstream/Upstream Bandwidth: 5.5 Mbs/1Mbs
7. ISP: Cable One
8. Your Location (state will probably be sufficient): Idaho
9. Connection type to your TV (RWY/HDMI, etc): XD is HDMI, HD is component
10. Number of computers/devices hooked up to your network: 2 laptops, 1 Wii, 2 smartphones, in various configs (including all off but 1 Roku box)
11. Any other information that may be of use

Sigh. OK, I've tried everything I can think of. Both of our boxes started giving us the red light for "internet connection" this afternoon, though all our other devices can still connect to the internet just fine. I've rebooted everything several times & powercycled, and tried several reconfigs of the server. We always have a static IP assigned to the MAC addresses for our Roku boxes, and every once in a while there's an error with those, but nothing is wrong there. I tried Open/Google DNS (never works for our network--crashes all wireless devices) and swapping wireless channels. I've tried creating a secondary network just for the Rokus, and putting them in the DMZ. No luck. Oddly, I can ping the Roku boxes and get a reply, even with all this.

The strange thing is that usually if something's weird with the Roku->internet, I can try stealing our neighbor's unsecured DSL for a second to test, and have no problems--then I assume it's just a weird issue with our cable, and things are usually fine w/in 10 minutes or so. This time, I had the same problem with their DSL, which leads me to believe it's something w/ the box's connection, and nothing on my end. It's been 8 hours or so. ...Any ideas?

ETA: It's still doing it this morning. Smiley Sad I'm down with a broken ankle and two kids at home and this is making me bonkers.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
hunterjenn
Level 7

Update: no resolution after talking to tech support. They insist it has to be my router, since both boxes are down, but I ran the gamut w/ Motorola we can't find anything. I did find a post here, though, about how Roku's pinging the Netflix server for that "internet" radio button...is that correct?

I have tried pinging moviecontrol.netflix.com, and I consistently get timeouts. Could this be the whole problem?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
bac522
Level 7

"hunterjenn" wrote:
I have tried pinging moviecontrol.netflix.com, and I consistently get timeouts. Could this be the whole problem?

No the site in general is not a pingable...a lot of internet sites will block pings, so this is common not to get a response. I would suggest running DHCP on your Roku's for now instead of using static IP's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
hunterjenn
Level 7

Thanks for the response!

"bac522" wrote:
I would suggest running DHCP on your Roku's for now instead of using static IP's.

That's how I have them right now, since Motorola had me hard reset the router again yesterday--no luck. We're just absolutely nowhere with this.

We're sure the site's not pingable? I've seen several posts here w/ quoted cmd lines from pinging it. I tried a tracrt on it and it timed out somewhere after Washington. Maybe it just doesn't allow it anymore?

I would love any other ideas, though. We're on day 3, now, of no service, and I'm tearing my hair out. I can't think of anything else to try.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Gilgamesh
Level 8

"hunterjenn" wrote:
Thanks for the response!

"bac522" wrote:
I would suggest running DHCP on your Roku's for now instead of using static IP's.

That's how I have them right now, since Motorola had me hard reset the router again yesterday--no luck. We're just absolutely nowhere with this.

We're sure the site's not pingable? I've seen several posts here w/ quoted cmd lines from pinging it. I tried a tracrt on it and it timed out somewhere after Washington. Maybe it just doesn't allow it anymore?

I would love any other ideas, though. We're on day 3, now, of no service, and I'm tearing my hair out. I can't think of anything else to try.

Maybe your DNS is returning a bad route. You can try changing it to OpenDNS ( 208.67.222.222 ) or Google DNS ( 8.8.8.8 ) or Verizon/GTE DNS ( 4.2.2.2 ).

Or you can run NameBench to find other potential DNS servers that might be better.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
hunterjenn
Level 7

Yeah, I've tried the DNS switchup. Disclaimer: I am no techie--everything I know I've gleaned from experience or Googling. But the thing about assigning different DNS with the Motorola SBG6580 is that it wants you to also assign an IP/Subnet/etc. along with. See screenshot:

IP Address? I've tried 96.18.212.151 and 192.168.0.1 and both crash internet access. I'm assuming I have the rest correct:
IP Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Primary DNS: 208.67.222.222
Secondary DNS: 208.67.220.220 (I've also tried Google's numbers)

I checked ipconfig/all afterward to make sure everything popped up normally, and ran ipconfig/flushdns. Still no internet access, even on the wired computer. Is there something I'm missing, or is it just not possible from my modem, as rumored?

(Back on DHCP for now, so I can have internet on everything but the Rokus, at least.)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
bac522
Level 7

"hunterjenn" wrote:

IP Address? I've tried 96.18.212.151 and 192.168.0.1 and both crash internet access. I'm assuming I have the rest correct:

You tried those IP's in your roku's? That won't work. Configure one roku with 192.168.0.250 and the other roku with 192.168.0.249 (You can use any IP in the 192.168.0.x block, but I just picked those numbers as most home networks probably won't be using them with DHCP). Everything else will stay the same

Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS: Ones you listed are fine or use 8.8.8.8
0 Kudos