Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: FAQ: Networking 101 and your Roku Player

I just replaced my old Roku XD with a new Roku 2 XS. I'm finding that I constantly have to reconnect; in fact, every time I turn on the television and switch the source to the Roku 2. Not to sound petty, but I didn't have these issues with the older Roku.

Is there a possible firmware fix coming for this?
0 Kudos
Level 8

I don't know about your specific issue, but there have been at least a couple of firmware updates since the Roku2 came out and they seem to be hard at work ironing out the issues that they are aware of, so I'm sure more updates are on the way.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
0 Kudos
Level 7

1. Roku1 or Roku2 (or both): Roku1 HD XR
2. Router Make/Model: Asus RT-N13U B1
2.5 Cable Modem Make/Model: Motorola SB-6120
3. Wired/Wireless: Both
4. Have you done a hard or factory reset?: Yes
5. Does it only happen at a particular time/day?: No
6. Downstream/Upstream Bandwidth: 12 Mbs/1Mbs
7. ISP: WOW (Wide Open West)
8. Your Location (state will probably be sufficient): Michigan
9. Connection type to your TV (RWY/HDMI, etc): S-video
10. Number of computers/devices hooked up to your network: 2
11. Any other information that may be of use (including video titles when necessary)

For some reason, I can't get the Roku to connect to the internet. My Roku was working fine with my D-Link router, but I gave that one away and I got an Asus RT-N13U (because of the print server feature, which actually works!) I also replaced my aging Motorola Cable Modem with the SB-6120. I know, I shouldn't have made 2 changes at the same time, but it was a hassle getting the new SB-6120 set up and I don't want to try swapping the old one back in. It was pretty painless to set up the new router and get it working, and my laptops connect just fine. I'm using WPA2 security with the same SSID and password that I was using previously.

I've tried connecting in both in wired and wireless modes, but no dice. The Roku sees the router, it sees my LAN, but it can't connect to the internet. After my wired attempt failed, I unplugged the Ethernet cable from the Roku and plugged it in to my laptop (after turning off the laptop's wireless adapter), and it worked fine, so I know that the cable is good and the router jacks are working properly. I just want to get it to connect in wired mode and then I can go from there.

I did try disabling the router's firewall. I've rebooted everything in several different orders. I've reset the router and the Roku to factory defaults and tried connecting that way. Nothing seems to work. My next step is to flash the router with dd-wrt firmware and see if that works (I suspect it will). But before I do that, I thought I would ask for suggestions. Again, I just want to get it to work with the wired connection, I'll worry about wireless later.

The ASUS user guide can be found here: http://www.manualowl.com/p/Asus/RT-N13U/Manual/16669

Doug
0 Kudos
Level 7

1. Roku1 or Roku2 (or both): Roku2 HD
2. Router Make/Model: Dlink DIR-601
2.Modem: ?
3. Wired/Wireless: Wireless
4. Have you done a hard or factory reset?: Yes
5. Does it only happen at a particular time/day?: Haven't been able to get it work even once
6. Downstream/Upstream Bandwidth: 8 Mbs/3Mbs
7. ISP: Comcast
8. Your Location (state will probably be sufficient): Massachussets
9. Connection type to your TV (RWY/HDMI, etc): HDMI
10. Number of computers/devices hooked up to your network: 1

Extra information:

The first time I started ROKU 2 HD, it connected easily to my wireless. Then it downloaded an update and has NOT been able to connect since then. Something is broken with the update, since it cannot detect ANY wireless networks in the building (before update, it detected atleast 10).
I have tried :
NAT filtering disable
using only 802.11g/b instead of N
disabling all security on router
HARD reset 4 times...the whole process just repeats itself...connects ---> downloads update ---> screws up
Roku2 HD: Start install ---> Connects ----> downloads update ----> breaks down and cannot connect any more ----> Hard reset---->Repeat the whole thing. HELP!
0 Kudos
Level 7

OK, I gave up and installed dd-wrt firmware in my ASUS RT-N13U router and now everything works like a dream! I was planning on trying that out anyway, but this forced me to do it sooner rather than later. So, anyone with an ASUS router or considering one, I would recommend doing the dd-wrt firmware update.
0 Kudos
Level 7

I've had the Roku XD for a year now, and just recently got the Roku 2 XS. My network connection fluctuates on any given day, anywhere between 1.0 Mbps to 2.6 Mbps, but I was just wondering if having two Rokus connected to the network at the same time could slow down my connection, even if I'm only streaming on one. Basically, it stops to buffer every five minutes, so I can't watch anything at the moment.
0 Kudos
Level 7

"elBryan" wrote:
I've had the Roku XD for a year now, and just recently got the Roku 2 XS. My network connection fluctuates on any given day, anywhere between 1.0 Mbps to 2.6 Mbps, but I was just wondering if having two Rokus connected to the network at the same time could slow down my connection, even if I'm only streaming on one. Basically, it stops to buffer every five minutes, so I can't watch anything at the moment.

In theory it shouldn't. 1-2.6mbit might not be enough to support two Rokus running Netflix but otherwise should be ok
0 Kudos
Level 7

I just got a Roku LT, and hooked it up yesterday, signbed up for Netflix, and everything seems to be working fine. I have a dual band Netgear wireless router, which I got specifically to be able to dedicate the 5ghz band to video streaming. When I added the Roku to the network, it only "sees" the 2.4ghz band though, which kind of defeats the purpose of have the dual band router. I connected to the 2.4ghz band, and the signal seems to come through no problem, but I'd like to use the 5ghz if possible.

Does the Roku LT not have the capability to use 5ghz wireless band?
0 Kudos
Level 8

No, none of the Roku2 models or the LT use the 5ghz band.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45193&p=306999&hilit=5ghz#p306999
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
0 Kudos
Level 7

"socantra" wrote:
No, none of the Roku2 models or the LT use the 5ghz band.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45193&p=306999&hilit=5ghz#p306999

Thanks - looks like I could have got a cheaper router!

How do I check tfor the "dots" quality rating?
0 Kudos