Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
devrdander
Level 7

Re: FAQ: Networking 101 and your Roku Player

Added Common Questions: and threw in some more terms... been busy with work, haven't even gotten to really tinker with my Roku NP yet...
-Seth
0 Kudos
billrick
Level 7

Just wanted to say THANKS!!! I was having trouble with a slow connection, and I have a super fast cable modem, so that one dot quality was extremely irritating. Based on your sticky, I checked for QoS (disabled), Double NAT (nope), and then found that I share a channel with 3 of my neighbors. Doh!

I switched to channel 1 and did a power down, and I now have 4 dot quality! Sweet! Thanks again, you rock!

-B
0 Kudos
unclebob
Level 7

"devrdander" wrote:

Perform a factory reset on the unit, found on page 38 of your manual, and re-setup the network settings.

I have a 10-page folio called "Getting Started." And a 2-page License Agreement/Warranty Statement.

On my own, I found the "settings" area and the factory reset feature. I don't think I'm lacking any crucial info.

BUT...is there an online pdf of this manual of which you speak?

TIA.
0 Kudos
unclebob
Level 7

"unclebob" wrote:
"devrdander" wrote:

Perform a factory reset on the unit, found on page 38 of your manual, and re-setup the network settings.

I have a 10-page folio called "Getting Started." And a 2-page License Agreement/Warranty Statement.

On my own, I found the "settings" area and the factory reset feature. I don't think I'm lacking any crucial info.

BUT...is there an online pdf of this manual of which you speak?

TIA.

found it:

http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/docum ... ayerUG.pdf

I oughta call and make you guys mail me one.
0 Kudos
plooger
Level 7

Great information.... Thanks!

What is the recommended method for checking wireless overlap with neighboring WANs? (the "Survey" button on my router isn't turning-up any other SSIDs; any other options?)
Still lingering in the SD world, wallowing in ReplayTVs & XBMCs.
0 Kudos
ram1009
Level 7

Well, I set up my wireless router today, cascaded with my wired router and all went well. At least I think so. I won't really know until my STB arrives because I have no other wireless clients. I settled on a Linksys WRT150N router. As everybody has said the Linksys software CD is useless. It didn't even recognize the new router. I chatted with one of their support people and even she told me to forget the CD. I'll post again when my ROKU box arrives Tuesday.
0 Kudos
midiwall
Level 7

"plooger" wrote:
Great information.... Thanks!

What is the recommended method for checking wireless overlap with neighboring WANs? (the "Survey" button on my router isn't turning-up any other SSIDs; any other options?)

Do you have a laptop with a wireless card?

Windows:
http://wifihopper.com/
WiFi Hopper, 15-day trial, awesome app

http://www.netstumbler.com/
NetStumbler, free, good app

Mac:
http://www.istumbler.net/
iStumbler, free

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutwifi/index.html
coconutWifi, free
:: Mark
0 Kudos
Timbox55
Level 7

Thanks for this info! I was concerned after getting only 1 or 2 "bubbles" despite a very high-speed Internet connection. But after upating the firmware in my linksys WRT54G router, I never get less than four bubbles. Watched all day yesterday with no interruption, buffering, or degradation of picture quality.
0 Kudos
wingnutzero
Level 7

I wish I could say the same. Before I got my netflix box I upgraded to a 7.5 mb/s DSL connection and was getting 4 stars regularly at first, but lately I keep getting two stars. I checked for a firmware upgrade on my Netgear router (which doesn't support QoS) and there's none available. I did a few benchmark tests and got 5.5 - 6 mb/s dl speed regularly.

I know there are a few other wifi networks in range - I saw them when I was setting up my network - but I have no clue how to check what channels they're using. My computer uses a wired DSL connection and has no wireless card, so wifihopper and netstumbler don't work.
Owner/admin www.streamingsoon.com
Where Netflix users find out what's coming to Watch Instantly
0 Kudos
midiwall
Level 7

"wingnutzero" wrote:
I know there are a few other wifi networks in range - I saw them when I was setting up my network - but I have no clue how to check what channels they're using. My computer uses a wired DSL connection and has no wireless card, so wifihopper and netstumbler don't work.

Bummer...

Short of running out and buying one of the gadgets that will ID WiFi networks, the best thing you can do is to start at channel 1 on the router and work through them one at a time.

What's the router? Is it one that was provided by your DSL provider? Any chance that it has an on-board option for a wireless survey? Something like this?

:: Mark
0 Kudos