Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: FAQ: Networking 101 and your Roku Player

^ I'd suspect your ISP may have had a temporary slow down or outage.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
Level 7

Thanks for the reply. Strange thing, is the computer said, TIMED OUT....... and my wife was unable to connect to the net EVEN though there was a strong signal. ROKU was a little slow and then in connected. Once again, thanks!
0 Kudos
Level 8

"sandman512" wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Strange thing, is the computer said, TIMED OUT....... and my wife was unable to connect to the net EVEN though there was a strong signal. ROKU was a little slow and then in connected. Once again, thanks!

Keep in mind that the wireless signal strength is reporting the quality or the connection between the device (laptop, Roku, etc.) and your router, not the speed of your internet connection. Internet could be completely dead and you could still have an excellent connection to your router.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
0 Kudos
Level 7

Ahh, I see what your saying. With that being said, is there anything I should do(settings, different router etc....) or just leave things the way they are? THANKS!!!
0 Kudos
Level 8

^^^What's the speed of your broadband service?
0 Kudos
Level 7

I have to be honest here, I'm not sure. I have Optimum Online Broadband.
EDIT: Just looked it up, looks like 15 Mbps.
0 Kudos
Level 8

^^^ Good, that's plenty fast enough . I just wanted to make sure you had enough bandwidth to stream and surf on the laptop at the same time.
If things are back to normal now, I'd just consider it one of those occasional hiccups that happen and not worry about it.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Thanks much for the replies and assistance. I will post if anything else happens. THANKS!
0 Kudos
Level 7

Another quick question, is the ROKU supposed to be connected to my router all the time, or do I have to log on each time I use it. For example, last night went to use ROKU and there was no connection, had to reconnect again. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Level 7

"sandman512" wrote:
Another quick question, is the ROKU supposed to be connected to my router all the time, or do I have to log on each time I use it. For example, last night went to use ROKU and there was no connection, had to reconnect again. Thanks!

It should remain connected at all times. The power consumption is negligible, whether in standby mode or playing 1080p video.
Roku XDS, AppleTV 4th Gen
1.0 gbps on Google Fiber (wifi-N to Roku)
Panasonic P42ST30 HDTV & BD-85 Blu-ray Player
Onkyo HT-S5400 7.1 system

Paid services:
Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu (no ads), HBO Now, MLB.tv, NHL.tv, Roksbox
0 Kudos