Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: FAQ: Networking 101 and your Roku Player

Well, well, well, the Airport does have channels....something I never knew before. Thanks to the pleasant person who gave me the instructions, to the other two less pleasant and a little smug people, since my Apple products always find the network and use it with no problem, I've never had to monkey with any of the settings before. So, I changed to channel six and guess what? Roku still won't find the network. And yes, my password is correct for the 100th time. So, I think to myself, why do I have to work this hard, for something I spent my hard earned money on? If it doesn't work without me trapsing up and down the stairs forty-two times to keep changing the channel to hope this thing works, then it obviously isn't something I need to worry about owning. So, it's going back. Roku, it ain't about being tech savvy, it's about making a good product. And by the way, in order to change the channels, I have to UNDO Internet Sharing for Airport Options to become available, then go into Airport to change the channel. Really??? Who knew I had to undo sharing, to get to share...???

Don't bother replying, I'm not coming back to the forum. I understand technology can be complicated, but if it's not ready to use yet, don't market it.
0 Kudos
Level 7

So, my Apple TV box came today. I opened the box, plugged in the power cord, and then the HDMI cable, set the input channel, plugged in the network password, and all of that took longer than the box took to FIND and CONNECT to my wireless network. So regrets about sending the Roku back.
0 Kudos
Level 8

enjoy
0 Kudos
Level 7

Trying to hook brand new Roku XD to my wireless gateway modem, a Cisco DPC3825. Roku finds the network, but when I entered in the security key(which I know I am entering in correctly) it can't connect. Anyone have this modem and can help me with the setup? I don't want to spend hours fiddling with it like I had to do to get the PS3(which is currently not working, hence the Roku) online.
0 Kudos
Level 7

"pixilated" wrote:
Trying to hook brand new Roku XD to my wireless gateway modem, a Cisco DPC3825. Roku finds the network, but when I entered in the security key(which I know I am entering in correctly) it can't connect. Anyone have this modem and can help me with the setup? I don't want to spend hours fiddling with it like I had to do to get the PS3(which is currently not working, hence the Roku) online.

Have you tried contacting Customer Service at Cisco? I didn't have any problem connecting my Roku to my network but I had a lot of trouble connecting my PS3 to my Belkin Play N600 network. I called Belking CS and they walked me right through it in about ten minutes. Good luck.
0 Kudos
Level 7

I haven't, because apparently there is a weird issue with the Cisco. Their support forums, AND their customer service both consider it a small business item, so getting support for it with household use is difficult. I'm actually going to the cable company tomorrow and exchanging it, I'm going to go back to my old set up(modem and separate router) instead.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Just wanted to update that I got the problem fixed by doing a factory reset of the modem, the Roku must not have liked the settings that the PS3 needed.
0 Kudos

Using Ubee modem from Time Warner Cable Road Runner using long ethernet cable to connect the roku to the router (as the wifi doesn't seem to work) was at excellent and is now at just okay, when I switch the same cable at the same distance to my computer and go to speakeasy 20.80Mbps down/4.97 Up, and at speedtest I get 22.83 down/4.99 up, I don't understand why it just says okay, when the download speed is that fast.
0 Kudos

I didn't realize ok was always what it said on the Ethernet, I could've sworn it said excellent but I must be mistaken, it stopped playing hd for a while, but I got it back, so it's all good now.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Thanks OP for a very informative post. i have a quick question. Cliffs Notes:
1) Have ROKU XDS
2) Linksys E2500 Router
3) Was playing with ROKU last night and wife was on laptop and LAPTOP was getting TIMED out and INTERNET connection was LOST.
4) ROKU was slowing down.

Any thoughts and/or comments would be appreciated.

THANKS!
0 Kudos