Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bosljeff
Level 7

Re: FAQ: Networking 101 and your Roku Player

okay, I did the above cmd prompts to retrieve a better primary and secondary DNS and input them into my router settings, now I can't even run the netflix test page and the speedtest.net site states "latency test returned error while trying to read latency file"

Just keep trying different DNSs?
0 Kudos
eri3k
Level 7

You should reboot the router and clear the computer's DNS cache by repairing the network connection after you change the router's DNS addresses. Also, you will need to reboot the player in order for it to pull the new DNS settings.
Ever dream of controlling your Roku player through a series of tubes? [url=http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?p=134125#134125:27yxzvgn]Now you can![/url:27yxzvgn]
0 Kudos
bosljeff
Level 7

right now I'm just working on my stationary desktop for all of these tests to get it all right with numbers before I even deal with the player...so with that in mind, everytime I try a new DNS: reboot router, clear DNS cache, then run test again?
0 Kudos
eri3k
Level 7

If you are not changing the any settings on the router then you don't need to reboot it. After you change the computer's DNS servers, you should repair the connection by right-clicking on the connection on the Network Connections page:
Ever dream of controlling your Roku player through a series of tubes? [url=http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?p=134125#134125:27yxzvgn]Now you can![/url:27yxzvgn]
0 Kudos
bosljeff
Level 7

however since my destop is hardwired to router and router is connected to 'net, then I need to be doing all of these settings within the router, right? Because it "overrides" the destip 'network connections' settings...
0 Kudos
eri3k
Level 7

There are two ways to change the DNS settings used by your computer. When you said that you were just working with the settings on your computer, I assumed you were configuring the DNS settings in the operating system which supersede the settings on the router for your computer:

The other way to change your DNS settings is to log into the router management page using your browser:

If you are using the second method then you should reboot the router and repair the connection using the right-click method after you have made the changes.

All of the DNS servers listed in that post are up and running just fine. I am able to resolve addresses on all of the servers - even Miami and Atlanta - in well under 100ms, and that is from California.
0 Kudos
bosljeff
Level 7

Yes, I tried the second method by "logging" into my router and changing them there while leaving the windows settings as "obtain auto..." and I did reboot and repair and flush...

And all of them allowed my internet to run and so forth but in regards to my latency repair goal you mentioned...

Okay, I have tried 4 new sets of DNSs: 1. auto obtain from ISP 2. Atlanta Airport 3. The "open" DNS listed earlier in this post 4. Wash DC and it didn't work.

All of them yielded what I believe to be similar results on the netflix 4 test thing...I assume I wanted lower numbers in the (fb: _ _ _ ms) spot-none of them changed any of the numbers much.

The procedure was as follows: I would flush the dns cache at the cmd prompt, click the repair on my 'network connections' screen, unplug/reboot both my modem and router and then run the 4 tests again...

I'm now, for giggles, going to reboot and re-install my roku player and see what's new

BTW thanks for all of your patient help.
0 Kudos
eri3k
Level 7

I take it that Atlanta is the closest distribution center to you. If that is the case then try running "tracert 68.142.118.254" (without the quotes) from the command line. If it takes a lot of "hops" or you see one server that is taking a long time to respond, then that could possibly be your culprit.

If you PM me your IP address (find it here) may be able to see whether there is anything between the Netflix CDN and your modem that might explain your results. However I make no promises that I would find anything.
0 Kudos
bosljeff
Level 7

PM Sent...again, I seriously appreciate your time and help on this.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Craig>cd c:\

C:\>tracert 68.142.118.254

Tracing route to cdn-68-142-118-254.atl1.llnw.net [68.142.118.254]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 23 ms 32 ms 26 ms cdn-68-142-118-254.atl1.llnw.net [68.142.118.254
]

Trace complete.

C:\>
0 Kudos
bosljeff
Level 7

:cry: :cry:

Okay, Snickers Bar to whomever can help me!!!

I have literally, in an OCD manner tried everything from every suggestion from page 1 until now: DNS switch, NAT checks, tracert and all that stuff from the cmd prompt with literally zero change.

The problem is that from one minute to the next I didn't change anything, then all of the sudden (for over 36 hours now) every movie in my queue went to 3 dots except one episode of a series went to 4 out of 4 w/HD. That's it, just that one episode out of 37 movies and other series and they are all stuck at 3 dots. Nothing within my network changed to provoke this...ideas?

*edit*
nevermind, must have been a fluke, now ALL of my queue is at 3 dots. Every single one out of 37 is stuck at 3 dots and none of the suggestions in the last 5 pages, and the links referenced to other pages, made it better or worse...

What could have changed overnight? Could it be on Netflix's end for this long?

I'm seriously, as are others, out of ideas...
0 Kudos