Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Extremely Poor Wifi Speed - Excellent Signal - Roku Only

Basically title.  I have the Roku Premiere (possibly a plus, I'l'l have to check when I get home).  It reports excellent signal strength, and at times has up to 20Mbps speed.  But most of the time it has extremely poor speed as it reports, and as the streaming quality and stuttering/buffering confirm.

I know the first thing everyone is going to go to is "it's my network." But I am positive it is not my network.  I have a higher end Ubiquiti Alien AP.  I have been through the channels, I have tried both 40 and 80mhz. channel width.  I have tested using a laptop, a phone, and a tablet all on the exact same wifi AP right where the roku is.  They are all able to pull in excellent signal strength, and 60Mbps+ speeds.

It seemed to have worked decent for the past month or so, but the past few days it has been almost useless.  Anyone else having this issue?

4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Extremely Poor Wifi Speed - Excellent Signal - Roku Only

Yes - buffering while using YouTube Tv.  Sent an email to Roku.  Following!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Yes same here, on a mesh network, not sure if that’s an issue but have about 33dB s/n. 

buffering on both YouTubeTV and Netflix 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hi.  We don't have an excellent signal (pretty rural), but it is sufficient.  We have been using and enjoying the Roku for a few years (I think they are Roku 2; so maybe too old).  Since yesterday, both of our Roku devices are not able to connect to the internet.  All of our other devices (laptops, phones) are working just fine.  We have reset the router and re-started the Roku multiple times without any connection success.  If someone has anymore suggestions, we would appreciate it.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I had same issue could turn on hotspot on phone sit it beside Roku and would still say week signal only thing that fixed was factory reset for me