Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Extending HDMI and Long-range Wireless Receiver cables on a Streaming stick+

My question to the tech smart users on the forum is can the HDMI and USB Power Cable with Long-range Wireless Receiver on the Srteaming stick+ be extended 15 feet from the TV?

Like many others I’m having connectivity issues my Roku’s, an issue that Roku is ignoring or you just get a generic response from what appear’s to be a bot on this forum, I have two Roku streaming stick +, both have very poor wifi reception, any phone, computer or TV located right next to the Roku’s have strong reliable reception,Ive tried every fix for the issue….

This particular Roku is set up in a boat, with the power for the Roku coming from a 12 volt TV via the USB port on the TV, the TV is down low in the boat,I’m thinking I can improve reception if I get the Long-range Wireless Receiver on the Roku up higher in the cabin, using the remote will probably be the downfall of this idea if it works at all, I have tried my setup powering the Roku with the supplied 120v power adaptor, its no different -poor reception either way, often the roku doesn't see my network at all, the other devices having zero issues.

My wireless router (with range extender) is outside my house under the eaves, the boat is parked 60 feet away with nothing blocking the signal (apart from the thin fiberglass cabin) I can clearly see the router from the boat.. my wireless cameras (one is over 120 feet away) with tree’s in the way of the router have never had connectivity issues.

The boat is located in a residential canal, all the other devices see my neighbors wifi’s without issues.If we take the boat to other locations the result is the same, phones/tablets/computers and the wifi TV can all get a reliable connection to wifi and the both Roku’s struggle to connect (if at all) Ive tried swapping the two Roku’s I have and swapping the Long-range Wireless Receivers, the result is the same…

Appreciate any input

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Level 19

Re: Extending HDMI and Long-range Wireless Receiver cables on a Streaming stick+

You can move the Wireless Receiver Cable further from the Roku Stick by using an extension cable with a USB MINI (not MICRO) plug on one end and a USB Mini socket at the other, if you can find one.  I found this one on Amazon but it's only 5 ft: https://www.amazon.com/ChenYang-speed-Female-extension-adapter/dp/B00S6HKR1Q/

Otherwise,  you could move the stick, wireless receiver cable and all, further from the set by using an HDMI extension cable with an HDMI plug at one end and an HDMI socket at the other.  These aren't hard to find.  As a matter of fact, that's how I have my own Stick+ hooked up in an equipment room on the other side of the wall from the tv.  If there is no power outlet at the new location, you'd need to use an extension cord for that too.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Extending HDMI and Long-range Wireless Receiver cables on a Streaming stick+

Makaiguy,

Thanks for the response, further extending the HDMI cable would be the way to do it as opposed to extending the USB mini, (I already have extended it with a six foot HDMI cable) I will look into a 15 foot cable -I'm not sure what the specs's of the cable would need to be.

Roku's lack of response to the many connectivity issues being posted on the forum is loud and clear,I hope potential new customers are reading and considering alternatives.

0 Kudos
Level 10

You may be barking up the wrong tree.

Which wireless band and technology are the working wireless devices using? Can you force the stick to use 2.4 GHz (for example, by naming the 2.4 and 5.8 bands with different network names?

Have you checked to see if there are overlapping or interfering channels from neighbors ? See https://www.extremetech.com/computing/179344-how-to-boost-your-wifi-speed-by-choosing-the-right-chan...

How does the Roku report the signal strength?

0 Kudos
Level 7

Remaker,

I appreciate the response,I hope I’m barking up the wrong tree! Ive tried using my 2.4,(with different network name) no difference,Ive tried my neighbors networks 2.4 and 5.0 networks, same result.

Being on the water in a residential canal, I can see many wifi networks, the other devices see them all with a strong signal, if the Roku’s see them at all the signal is very weak. Driving the boat down the narrow harbor the wifi choices are unlimited (a harbor that is full of houses,hotels and condo’s) ,if the Roku’s see them at all the signal is very weak, other devices are at full or near full strength. ( I can travel about a mile refreshing the setup a new connection button as I move) nothing really changes, the other devices will constantly see the newest closest wifi as the boat moves towards them.

Over the weekend we took the boat to a less crowded area with limited wifi options, no issues with the other devices seeing 5 or 6 networks - the Roku’s where blank.

If this issue is something to do with the boat (I doubt it as all the other devices are working perfectly) I’m happy to try a 15 foot HDMI cable and get the roku up higher, however I’m unsure of what cable is needed, there is so many out there ….

Thanks again for your input,I appreciate it.

0 Kudos
Level 19

I wonder if the problem is a defective Long Range Wireless Receiver. Unfortunately, unless you have a friend or neighbor with a known good one you can borrow to test with I don't know how you can determine this other than buying a new one.
Available from Roku here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/streaming-stick

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Level 10

Maybe the Roku is defective, but an HDMI cable is an easy test. For my travel Rokus I carry a 6 foot HDMI cable and a female-to-female HDMI coupler (cheap on Amazon), and move the unit to a place with a good signal near an outlet. I’m sure. 15 foot cable or two six foot cables and two couplers would work. Just remember that it needs to receive the radio signal from the remote, too.

The cable is a cheap test.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Thanks Remaker,

I have two Streaming stick + Roku's, tried them both, Ive also tried swapping the long range wireless receiver between the two, results remain the same.

Not much more I can do…

0 Kudos