Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Express + disconnected from house wifi network yesterday and can no longer find it to reconnect

First off, I have scrolled through every post related to this and tried every suggestion presented (reboots, restarts, router, roku, factory resets, secret screens, etc and multiple times), as well as any hacks I came across online for this issue. It seems other people are encountering it too, and only some are getting the issue resolved. My Roku disconnected yesterday afternoon from the house wifi network while I was watching something on Hulu and now I cannot get it to recognize that wifi network any more. I called my internet provider and there is nothing wrong on their end - all my other devices connect to the house wifi just fine.  Just like most everyone else who has had this problem. It has worked fine for a year and a half and now BAM nothing. It will recognize/connect to my mobile hotspot but I don't want to use that and there is no reason I can figure that it shouldn't work on my house network like it has for the entire time I've owned it. Nothing has changed to placement of router, roku, new products etc. (and no, I can't move my router closer - besides it worked fine just yesterday) IS THERE ANY OTHER OPTIONS TO MAKE THIS EXPRESS+ RECOGNIZE A WIFI NETWORK THAT IT ONCE DID. Again, I have done all the reboots and restarts on both the Roku and my router and like so many others am about to smash it to little bits and go a different streaming route. Thanks in advance. Any actually Roku tech support help besides the standard cut and paste would be great.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Express + disconnected from house wifi network yesterday and can no longer find it to reconnect

I've seen all those posts, too, and it makes me want to avoid the Express devices.  The only thing I can suggest that you didn't mention was to make sure you're powering it from the wall and not your TV's USB port.  I'd even try a different USB charger/power adapter if you have one lying around.  One other thing to try would be to changer your WiFi router's channel.  Try different channels especially if it's set to "Auto".  Sorry I can't be more help.

-JT

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Express + disconnected from house wifi network yesterday and can no longer find it to reconnect

Hey, JT thanks for the suggestions. The roku is actually powered from an outlet - but I did try a different usb/power adapter just in case like you mentioned. (older t.v no usb connections) and no such luck . same problem. I have switched the router channels as well and no luck there either unfortunately. still looking for the magic solution other than having to purchase something else.........

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

SOOOOO... I had another Express + that hadn't been used in a long time, hooked it up and it immediately found the house wifi network and connected ...THEN it did an automatic update and now this one can not find the house wifi network any longer. Unbelievable! THIS IS 100 %  A ROKU DEVICE/UPDATE  ISSUE NOT MY ROUTER /WIFI. Will someone from roku support please contact me as this is unacceptable not too mention ridiculous. There has to be a way to make it work properly or do a manufacture replacement as I can't have any more proof than this that it is on Roku for the issues. Thanks in advance, again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@aah 

Thanks for the note. I'm sorry to hear about the experience—that's not what we aim for.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial numbers of the Roku devices from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Hi, Comcast and Roku blamed each other. After three weeks I found out that an update from Comcast fried the 2.4 G on my modem. No Comcast admitted it first. But when they realize the 2.4 G was not working. And not just on the Roku but my daughters computer, they first told me I’d have to learn to live without 2.4 G. I demanded to speak to a supervisor. And they sent out a second Technician. The technician replaced the modem. And my 2.4 came back

I wish you good luck! It took me three weeks and at least 10 hours of phone calls and numerous headaches to get this fixed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

After Comcast blamed Roku and Roku blamed Comcast and three weeks of calls, it ended up that an update from Comcast Fried the 2.4 G on my modem. I demanded they bring a new modem out to try to see if that was the problem and that was the problem. Demand a new modem if you have Comcast.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@RokuDanny-R 

I am unable to actually PM you through this forum. what should i do in order to give you my information. thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks for the heads up regarding your issues as well.....hopefully it will get resolved sooner rather than later. UGH!

0 Kudos