Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Express Connection to WIFI problems

@Dragonmommy45 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please check the troubleshooting steps provided in our Support page here: How do I check the connection to my home network and the internet?

If you are still experiencing issues, can you please send me a private message with the information to my previous post? I will be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Maybe I was not being clear on the Express connection issues.  See my previous posts.  

When I first plugged the units in they established a connection to the internet.  They then tried to update

the software.  At this point they went stupid and would not go past a blank screen on the reboot.  No trouble shooting is possible at that point because they would not boot up to the operating screen.  Both went back to the store, I gave up on the Express.  There is no way of further troubleshooting the units when they do not boot up.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Hey there.  I went through basically same issue about two weeks ago.  Only exception my Express had been up and running for almost three years with only a previous 9.2 update issue in October.  After trying everything and still being in an endless bootup loop, I found an answer from a Roku advisor dated 2017.  (Didn't find I through Roku's search but an old fashioned browser search engine.)  You need to do a factory reset.  You will need the very technological advanced paper clip.  Press the reset button for about 20 seconds.  You will get the initial language request screen and continue from there.  It is a bit of a pain but better than the infernal white blinking light.  Hope that helps.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

ALL:

just change the wireless method on your 2.4ghz channe to use wireless G mode ONLY. Should fix the problem

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

After many hours of frustration with this problem (and TWO Express units unable to connect to my network after the November update is applied), I believe I have finally fixed this. (Since ROKU apparently hasn't even bothered to acknowledge the issue.

It's NOT your router. It's not your network. It's the Express stick, the SE Box (which uses the Express firmware), and possibly the EXPRESS + stick as well. 

Symptoms: It connects fine initially to set up. After the update installs and unit restarts, it no longer connects to your network (even though it may still SEE it.)

Resolution: (And dont ask my exactly why this works, but:

Go to HOME> Setttings> System>Advanced System Settings>Device Connect>and select DISABLE DEVICE CONNECT.

Restart the unit. It may even restart on its own after about 20 seconds. After the restart, it should automatically connect to your network.

To test this after it does, PULL THE POWER to your unit and let it sit about 5 minutes. Then power it up again, and it should still be fine.

Hope this works for you as well. If it does, you're welcome. Smiley Happy

Shame on ROKU.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Disconnects From Wifi

So I have the Roku express. Which was working perfectly fine until just recently. It worked fine for 3+ months but all of the sudden it disconnects from wifi, and won't even show any networks. I've tried restarting it, tried restarting my box, manually typed in my wifi, and everything you can think of. Sometimes it'll randomly reconnect. I'm sick and tired of unreliability and the lack of help from Roku because of the model. Poor business model and customer service. Unless I can get this fixed, I am switching away from Roku. Any suggestions to try before I move to a firestick? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Disconnects From Wifi

@ashleyrain 

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Can you please answer the following so I can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:
- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to send me a PM with the answers to the above, your Roku account email address, and serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Same for me I hate it

0 Kudos
Level 7

Options avail Roku Express 3900 suddenly would not connect, tried everything

Do I have any options. My Roku Express 3900 suddenly will not connect .  Have repeatedly tried all solutions suggested, no glory.....Have I just been hustled by Roku?  Roku.com/support explains online community is only support available.  Zero warranty?  Express player didn't last 60 days.  Quite the scam.   Warn the planet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku suddenly not connecting to wireless network just on a specific TV

Any help here greatly appreciated.  I have a Roku express that I purchased less than a year ago.  I had no issues with it until Monday of this week when it would no longer connect to my wireless network.  I tired all the recommended checks and nothing works, including disabling the pings.  The funny thing about this is that the Roku works on other TVs.  The current TV in question is located literally 2 feet from the router so strength is not an issue.  It is also a Samsung TV (6 years old) so the TV quality is not an issue as well with it not being a cheap generic brand.  I am all out of suggestions and the Roku support team sucks as you cannot even contact them for assistance.  Hopefully someone on here can provide some help.  Thanks in advance.  If not, Firestick here I come! 

0 Kudos