Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrv53
Level 7

Ethernet only ROKU

Jump to solution

I wish to purchase a ROKU ethernet only (no wifi connection). Does ROKU have something like this available, and is so, what is it?  Thanks. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andyross
Level 16

Re: Ethernet only ROKU

Jump to solution

The Ultra has Ethernet and WiFi. If you don't set it up to connect to a WiFi network, it will not use it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

There is no Roku that doesn't have Wi-Fi.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jrv53
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks. So can one turn it off then? What about an alternative to Roku? 

Thanks, Jim 

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 16

Jump to solution

The Ultra has Ethernet and WiFi. If you don't set it up to connect to a WiFi network, it will not use it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
jrv53
Level 7

Jump to solution

thanks

0 Kudos
jrv53
Level 7

Jump to solution

actually, one more question if I may. Even tho I am not using the WIFI function, can it be disabled completely, so there is absolutely NOT EMF emissions?

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 16

Jump to solution

Other than the basic Express, Roku's use WiFi frequencies for their remote. The non-stick versions can use an IR remote. I'm not sure if WiFi can be totally disabled.

Realistically, most all streaming devices will probably have WiFi in some form, and probably cannot be disabled.

0 Kudos
Karmagedon
Level 10

Jump to solution

@jrv53 the roku boxes depend on internet connection to work for any streaming activity, and also to get regular updates of software and channels.  You can unplug the power after each use if you don't want it on, but it is on for the reasons mentioned.  If you do that, don't forget to sometimes to check for the update manually.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@jrv53 wrote:

actually, one more question if I may. Even tho I am not using the WIFI function, can it be disabled completely, so there is absolutely NOT EMF emissions?

No, it is not possible. There is no on/off switch for the wireless radio, and even if there were you would have to leave it on because the remote uses the same wireless radio. There is no Roku that only has an IR remote and also has an Ethernet jack. Most likely you won't find any other streaming device with that either. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos