Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Ethernet connection was giving me 60ish Mbps a week ago now half that.

I have a Roku Ultra and I use the ethernet connection because I live in a apartment and I want avoid any interference from my neighbors WiFi. Anyway all of last week I was getting 60ish Mbps for download speeds but starting this morning it was down to 30ish Mbps. And yes I did test the ethernet cable on my laptop and I was getting 200ish Mbps for download speeds heck I even tried a different ethernet port on the back on my router and I'm still getting download speeds around 30 Mbps on my Roku Ultra.
Whats going on here? :?:

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Ethernet connection was giving me 60ish Mbps a week ago now half that.

I have found that the reported speed from either a Roku device itself or any self-testing channel is never very accurate, and always much lower than my Internet available speed. As long as you aren't experiencing any buffering issues, I'd just ignore it. Now if you are encountering buffering, then it's possible there's an issue. Remember that these devices are primarily designed from streaming from the Internet, with few (if any) sites offering bitrates exceeding 20 Mbps. Netflix tops out at 16 Mbps for 4K HDR, and Amazon is about the same.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

Re: Ethernet connection was giving me 60ish Mbps a week ago now half that.

30mbps is still very fast, that's about 3mBps.  How large are the files you're playing, highest resolution?  Aside from any buffering, etc. for example, transferring a 30MB file would require about 10 seconds to transfer the entire file at this speed.  Is play length appreciably longer than 10sec?
0 Kudos