Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Ethernet connected to Roku or tv or both?

Jump to solution

Hi. Question.  We have Roku connected to internet via Ethernet cable and then Roku connected to the tv.  We also have Ethernet to the tv.  Is the latter necessary? Or will the tv have internet connection through the Ethernet in the Roku, which is connected to the tv?  I feel like the Ethernet to the tv is redundant and can be removed.  Am I correct in my thinking??  Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: Ethernet connected to Roku or tv or both?

Jump to solution

If you use any internet-required functionality within the TV, such as built-in apps (e.g. NetFlix or Prime), or internet based IP channels or program guides, or TV firmware update capability, etc, then you might want to keep it connected via ethernet as well.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

If you use any internet-required functionality within the TV, such as built-in apps (e.g. NetFlix or Prime), or internet based IP channels or program guides, or TV firmware update capability, etc, then you might want to keep it connected via ethernet as well.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you!  It would be needed then for tv software updates.  Everything else runs through Roku.  

0 Kudos