Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Errors attempting to use Hotel Connect

"sirspeed" wrote:
There is a problem with the Hotel Connect feature.  I stay at different Hilton hotels every week.  As described above, when connecting to hhonors or attwifi networks at Hilton properties one of three things happen.  

1) the hotel connect features work properly:
- using the Roku, when connecting to the hotel wifi I select option for I am at a hotel
- use my iPad to connect directly to Roku
- the hotel portal/splash page appears on my iPad and I login as necessary
- Roku connects as intended.

or

2) The hotel connect feature does not finish it's connection before reseting:
- using the Roku, when connecting to the hotel wifi I select option for I am at a hotel
- use my iPad to connect directly to Roku
...but then...Roku resets its access point connection and I get a incorrect password while iPad is connecting to the Roku
...or...I am able to connect to the Roku access point and the hotel portal/splash page appears on my iPad but before I finish logging into the hotel portal the Roku access point connection resets and then Roku 'appears' (thought it isn't) to be connected to the hotel network.

or

3) The hotel connect features never appears and the Roku thinks it is automatically connected to the hotel network and the internet properly (though it isn't).

THIS is exactly the case at Hilton properties across the country.  At best, the hotel/dorm connect feature works 20% of the time.  A feature which functions 20% of the time is no feature at all.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
steelersrule
Level 7

"dssonic" wrote:
For what it's worth, I am a heavy Roku user but have an Amazon Fire TV stick just for travelling because it connects flawlessly in hotels; it has never once failed me.  You don't need a phone to connect, just the stick and remote (and it is really simple/intuitive).

+1

The AMAZON FIRE TV STICK works FLAWLESSLY with Hotel WiFi.  I have used it numerous times, and it works great.

For a CHEAP PRICE, you can get the FireTV Stick WITHOUT voice control at local Brick and Mortor stores today.  

BEST solution available for travelers.  Works AWESOME.  Just buy it, UPDATE TO LATEST FIRMWARE(necessary for Hotel WiFi connection), and enjoy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jbebout
Level 7

I am having the same issue with my streaming stick. The hotel connect feature worked for one hotel. I'm now at a different hotel and it does not work. I attempted changing the MAC address and logging in on my laptop as recommended above and that did not work either. I do not have another router to bring along with me. I shouldn't have to do that anyways. This "feature" needs to work or this stick is useless. Sounds like I should have bought an Amazon Fire Stick instead. any ideas or assistance from Roku would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I do agree with getting a Firestick. I own 4 of them and the price combined for all did not cost the one streaming stick. I forgot our travel firestick at home and bought a roku out of desperation at target. It has been $100 and an hour and a half wasted. I can't connect through my galaxy and the troubleshooting on the website is beyond worthless.
The firestick takes me about 37 seconds to set up and start streaming. This roku is going back to target immediately and I will be ordering another firestick just to keep in my glove compartment.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Edgar
Level 7

So, I ran into same issue as OP.

Figuring the issue could be resolved by adding my Roku MAC address to the hotels network was the solution I asked the hotel for network IT tech support.

Short hold, some phone menus etc. I got an agent from Austin TX.

The agent was aware of the issue and manually added the Roku MAC to the Hotel and room for my length of stay.

He suggested I do this every trip since the room and hotel is required to the way he manually adds the MAC.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

I see I was the OP. How time changes things.  Smiley LOL I have used my Stick at hotels well over a dozen times since I posted that, and it's been working fine. My guess is a firmware update resolved whatever issue I originally had. Either that or the hotels have gotten smarter about allowing connections to their networks. I just got home a couple of hours ago from another trip, and had no issues at Embassy Suites (Hilton chain).
I can't believe you can even get a hold of someone at hotel support that even knows what a MAC address is! 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
dbaxronin
Level 7

I had a lot of issues using my Roku Stick at a Hilton from the first time I tried to every time thereafter. It's quite simply a great feature in theory, but buggy in reality.

The best solution I found was to install Connectify on my laptop and connect Roku to that as if it were just a normal wifi network, rather than going through the dorm/hotel connect. Connectify runs on your laptop and acts as a hotspot against your local machine's internet connection (via wifi or ethernet). I ended up purchasing the application as I found it useful not only for this, but also when visiting my parents house, which is over 6500sqft...has a lot of deadzones in the guest areas and this works a charm to keep everyone connected when we are there. The company usually has the normal price marked down considerably so it is pretty cheap, and it is a great app. Here is a link to their site, http://www.connectify.me

Ok, one caveat here that I just realized is that it appears Connectify only works on Windows ATM. I don't know anything about Apple, but you might already have a built-in hotspot, but it sounds like it wont work if you are strictly using wifi (i.e. rather than ethernet on your mac) without an additional wifi dongle. Would need some more investigating. Here is a convo about it that I found doing a quick Google search, https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... -os-x-lion
0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

"dbaxronin" wrote:
I had a lot of issues using my Roku Stick at a Hilton from the first time I tried to every time thereafter. It's quite simply a great feature in theory, but buggy in reality.

The best solution I found was to install Connectify on my laptop and connect Roku to that as if it were just a normal wifi network, rather than going through the dorm/hotel connect. Connectify runs on your laptop and acts as a hotspot against your local machine's internet connection (via wifi or ethernet). I ended up purchasing the application as I found it useful not only for this, but also when visiting my parents house, which is over 6500sqft...has a lot of deadzones in the guest areas and this works a charm to keep everyone connected when we are there. The company usually has the normal price marked down considerably so it is pretty cheap, and it is a great app. Here is a link to their site, http://www.connectify.me

Ok, one caveat here that I just realized is that it appears Connectify only works on Windows ATM. I don't know anything about Apple, but you might already have a built-in hotspot, but it sounds like it wont work if you are strictly using wifi (i.e. rather than ethernet on your mac) without an additional wifi dongle. Would need some more investigating. Here is a convo about it that I found doing a quick Google search, https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... -os-x-lion

My problem is when I'm traveling I have my government laptop, and I don't have Admin rights so I can't install anything. I can use the hotspot in my phone, and have on a couple of occasions, but overall the Hotel Connect has worked well for me. but I also carry a small travel router that I use when I have a hard wired network connection in my hotel room. It will sometimes allow me to bridge to the hotel wireless connection, but lately has had problems doing that. Maybe Hilton did something that inhibits such a bridge connection. It used to work.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
larosabob
Level 7

I just tried it for the first time.  It's a little finicky and seems like the timeout is about 30 to 45 seconds. Not really enough time to get the browser open on your phone to finish it.  I did get it and happy to report it's working just fine.  PlayStation Vue changed their location rules, so now I can travel with my Roku Streaming Stick   WooHoo!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

"larosabob" wrote:
I just tried it for the first time.  It's a little finicky and seems like the timeout is about 30 to 45 seconds. Not really enough time to get the browser open on your phone to finish it.  I did get it and happy to report it's working just fine.  PlayStation Vue changed their location rules, so now I can travel with my Roku Streaming Stick   WooHoo!

You did respond to a thread almost a year old. Past updates have resolved the issues I originally reported, and I haven't had any issue connecting for quite a while. 
Dan
0 Kudos