Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Error code 014.30, I’ve tried everything

@jordanevil 

Since you have Xfinity, have you verified that your router's wireless mode under the 2.4ghz settings is set to b/g/n, and not merely g/n.  (firmware updates to cable ISP routers have made this change necessary in order for 2.4 ghz-only Roku devices to connect.

Xfinity / Comcast → ( https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi ) with a walkthrough ( https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Error-014-30-stuck-for-three-days/m...)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
jordanevil
Reel Rookie

Re: Error code 014.30, I’ve tried everything

That worked! Almost immediately, thank you so much @AvsGunnar

success overcoming error 014:30

had fun with error code 014:30 yesterday, trying to reinstall my roku express, with a new router.  worked fine with old one, and excellent signal strength, with new one, but no luck after 6 tries, despite rebooting both router and roku device (turn off roku, reboot router, reboot roku, new router password in, again--but no luck).  then realized, new router hops between 2 frequencies, almost randomly: sometimes working 5Ghz, others at 2.4Ghz.  so, i waited over an hour, did nothing, then tried it again--and it worked!  roku only works, when operating at 2.4Ghz, so I had to get it after it "hopped" to that frequency, almost like working with a roulette wheel!  now, working fine, with new, more powerful router.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Re: success overcoming error 014:30

@JerseyWildMan 

Which Roku Express model do you have?  (Settings/System/About)

All the newest line of Roku devices, including the new Roku Express 3960 are dual-band. (2.4ghz and 5ghz capable).

Any model of the Express other than model 3960 are single band 2.4ghz-only.

If you have a dual-band Roku device that won't connect to the 5ghz or won't stay connected to the 5ghz or prefers the 2.4ghz band, then the router is likely either band-steering your Roku device or the 5ghz band is using an incompatible wireless channel for the Roku device.  Roku can only see channels 36-48, or 149-165 on the 5ghz band.

Here are Roku's current device lineup.

https://www.roku.com/products/players

0 Kudos

you know, Avs, that's a good question.  frankly, im not even sure if it IS an Express.  all I know for sure,is that I got the cheapest, most basic Roku device, for 29 bucks, at a WalMart, about 4 or 5 years, ago.  I didn't even TRY to use it, for almost 2 years, after buying it, until I finally had time to mess with it.  But, ever since then, I have been enjoying my $29, one-time purchase, immensely, since my landlord pays for our WiFi, I haven't paid a dime, since, to watch a lot of great movies and tv shows, FOR FREE!!!  almost certainly, whatever it is, it operates as a single-band 2.4Ghz device, for sure--and my "clueless" landlord uses Verizon, who had sent him a new router.  so, needless to say, I had no access to the router settings, or configuration--I just had to wait, till it hopped to 2.4Ghz, and then grab it then.  fine ever since (so far!)

AvsGunnar

@JerseyWildMan 

Yessir.  Certainly can't beat free, and that is primarily how I stream with the Roku.  Don't have any need for the premium subscriptions.

Just for your own information, you can navigate from the Home Screen to Settings->System->About and that will tell you the device model name, the number, and what Software version you are using.  

Also, if you visit your online dashboard at https://www.roku.com/ and login, Roku will offer some trial subscriptions to premium services (just make sure you cancel before they auto-renew), and have some device offers (discounted upgrades) as well from time to time.

----

Good to hear you are up and running.

0 Kudos