Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Error code 003

Jump to solution
My dad is trying to update the software on his new roku tv. He is using mobile hotspot and the hotspot is telling him that he's connected and it gives him the 2 green check marks. However when it goes to software update it repeatedly gives him the error code 003. Can anyone help please?
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Error code 003

Jump to solution

Hi there! Thanks for the note. You can take a look here for more help with that specific error code: https://support.roku.com/article/115002796148-what-should-i-do-if-my-roku-device-is-unable-to-update...

If you're not able to get the issue resolved, please contact your Roku TV manufacturer for more support and setup assistance. You can locate their contact information here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Manufacturer-Support-Warranty-Resources/Contacting-Support-for-Your-Ro...

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Hi there! Thanks for the note. You can take a look here for more help with that specific error code: https://support.roku.com/article/115002796148-what-should-i-do-if-my-roku-device-is-unable-to-update...

If you're not able to get the issue resolved, please contact your Roku TV manufacturer for more support and setup assistance. You can locate their contact information here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Manufacturer-Support-Warranty-Resources/Contacting-Support-for-Your-Ro...

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I just purchased a TCL model 65R615 yesterday and am getting the same error code. Tried updating via USB method and that did not work either.

Oue Wifi is working on other devices ie: iPhone, laptop, etc. TCL support had us confirm our sets software version and it was the most current. TCL support had us try and switch the wifi connection to a phone hot spot, we did, and the same problem persisted. They also had us do a system reset. The agent then told us our ISP, RCN, had a firewall blocking the signal. BUT we switched to a hotspot connection from my phone, which is NOT thru RCN our home internet provider so that is not the problem. We did however call RCN and they of course said there was no firewall blocking our TV contacting Roku/TCL for the update.

When we first connect to a wifi network is gets green check marks saying we are connected to wifi and the internet. Then when it tries to check for a software update we get the error code 003.

Is there a fix for this? Short of returning the TV for a new set??

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@tigrzeye 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Try taking a look here for more tips about troubleshooting that network error code: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device. Alternately, I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot.  If you are able to connect without issue, this usually indicates an issue with your network or password. In that case, you might also try changing your network password (avoid using any special characters from your wireless network password) to see if that resolves the connection issue. 

Keep us posted with what you find out. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

My previous post said that we tried a cellphone hot spot and that didn't work. I have restarted everything network related, even turned the living room light off and back on, (sorry for being snippy, but script fed solutions are a bit annoying), replaced the router, used a guest SSID with NO password at all. Done every possible restart, reset, reboot, possible on the TV and my network de ices with NO SUCCESS!!   My plan is to return the TV after Xmas and hope the new one is okay. If not I'll get a TV without Roku as the OS. Funny thing I have 3 Roku sticks at my house on 3 different brand TV's at my house (the TCL TV is a gift and located at my Step Daughter and Son in Law's house right next door) and so far other than one stick that has some remote control connection issues (misses a button push now and then, and you have to raise or point at the TV to use it) they have been relatively error free. I contacted Roku support with questions on that remote issue and getting the same canned script support. I actually replaced the remote with a new one and while better still not perfect. But every 3-4 days I get and email support message with another, sorry don't know any other way to say it, stupid request to try something else that I had said I already tried. Support is not Roku's strong suit so far, hopefully it gets better I like the product and interface. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@tigrzeye 

Thanks for the clarification.

We would recommend checking out our Support page here: What should I do if my Roku® device is unable to update software?

If you are still unable to get your device working, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Problem resolved:

It wasn't using AES Security Protocol on our Wifi network.

It wasn't a funky password with special characters.

It wasn't the ISP running a Firewall that was blocking it.

It wasn't the router.

It wasn't the modem.

It wasn't fixed by the multiple resets and restarts of the TV.

It wasn't anything that has been suggested as a "canned" solution posted or linked to on here.

IT WAS A DEFECTIVE TV. RETURNED IT TO BESTBUY FOR A NEW TV OF THE SAME MAKE, MODEL, AND SIZE …… AND VOILA PROBLEM SOLVED. UNBOXED, AND SET UP AND RUNNING WITHIN 15 MINUTES.

Moral of the story, return the product, the fault for the malfunction doesn't exist on the users end.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!!!

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi my name is Rebecca Eccles I have the roku express I'm getting the internet connection and wireless but it says it's unable to update the software what can I do??? I'm about to take the roku back and replace it..

Email address is [personal information removed]

Model: 3930X SNSmiley Frustrated00929A9K3L2

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Eccles91 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot.  If you are able to connect without issue, this usually indicates an issue with your network or password. In that case, you might also try changing your network password (avoid using any special characters from your wireless network password) to see if that resolves the connection issue. 

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have no problem with network or its password.  It goes thru the process of putting a green check mark in each of the 3 circles. The error message indicates something is wrong with the downloading server and to check back. At this stage there is no "number on the TV" to put into the account I've added.

0 Kudos