Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Error 016 - other topic answers don't solve issue. Trying to solve intermittent error. Using NordVPN

Roku Premiere (3920 series) is my device.

Regularly I get Error 016 - no connection.   

The solutions usually offered on this board and elsewhere --  clearing cache, or rebooting router, then rebooting Roku -- always work. 

The issue is having to do this fix regularly.   The problem does not happen all the time, fortunately, but enough that it causes frustration -- the need to reboot so regularly is tiring.

I use NordVPN and my only hunch (I am not a techie) is that when NordVPN switches automatically to another server then perhaps this causes the connection to be lost.   Again...just a layman's theory.   It's important to note that there is no apparent disruption to laptops or phones connected to the same wireless network.

FYI the router is literally only a few feet/meters away from the Roku device.

What is the cause of this ongoing, but not all-the-time, issue?  More importantly -- what is an ultimate solution?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Level 21

Re: Error 016 - other topic answers don't solve issue. Trying to solve intermittent error. Using Nor

Roku will not offer any support when using a VPN, and discussion on using a VPN is not permitted on the board. Your theory could be correct, but we can't discuss it here. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos