Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Download Speed is Poor

For the last 2 days I’ve received the message “Internet Download Speed is Poor.” I know what you’re thinking. If I’m getting this message is must be from my internet provider. Correct? Ok. So here me out before you come to any conclusions. I’ve spent the last hour on tech support with my internet provider troubleshooting the issue on their end. Going so far as to switch out Mifi devices. I can watch Netflix on my iPad and iPhone through the Mifi with no problems. It doesn’t pause. It doesn’t lag. Yet I have 2 different Roku devices that are having this issue. No, I’m not trying to watch movies at the same time with the Rokus. No. My Mifi is not too far from the Rokus. In fact, theyre in the same room mere feet away away from each other. So how do I fix this issue?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Download Speed is Poor

You don't state what model Roku devices you have, nor the MiFi device in use. It's necessary information to see if your devices support 5 GHz, and/or 802.11ac. In general, 5 GHz can be much faster than 2.4 GHz.

What is your advertised/tested Internet speed on your MiFi? Are you playing 4K media, or HD? 

Sometimes a device can be too close to the WiFi radio. The radio wavelength even at 2.4 GHz is measured in inches, and at 5 GHz in fractions of an inch. Sometimes you can move one or the other just a little bit and make a major difference. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I have a Roku Premiere. I use a Verizon jetpack 4G LTE. I’ve had this Roku since sometime this summer and it’s connected just fine with no issues. I also have an older Roku. I’m not sure what model it is, but it came out around the same time as the Angry Bird Limited Edition box came out.
Neither of them are able to connect. The jet pack is an estimated 8 feet away from the Roku Premier. The other Roku is a bit further in a different room.
It’s not an issue of Verizon throttling my speed because I’m grandfathered in and often use around 600 gb of data a month. Plus, I’m at the beginning of my month so that’s not an issue. Both my Rokus and Mifi haven’t moved at all, so I don’t think it’s the proximity to it. Especially because when I go to check the signal strength the Roku says “excellent.”
I don’t know what media I’m trying to play. I just want to watch Netflix or Hulu.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

OK, next thing to try. In the Roku settings menu, under System/Advanced system settings, there's a network reset function. This deletes all saved network connection settings. Sometimes they get something out of whack in those settings, and by resetting them it starts working again. It doesn't delete anything else from your Roku, so no need to log into sites again. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 7

That seems to have done the trick. I’ve been cursing the **bleep** things for days now. Thank you very much. Unlike the one person who stated that Roku’s support sucks, I’m very pleased with it. Thank you very much for your help.
0 Kudos
Level 21

@Melissa99 wrote:
That seems to have done the trick. I’ve been cursing the **bleep** things for days now. Thank you very much. Unlike the one person who stated that Roku’s support sucks, I’m very pleased with it. Thank you very much for your help.

Well, I'm not Roku support. I'm just another user like yourself. Perhaps a little more experienced is all. Smiley Very Happy

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Oh well in that case, I guess I guess tech support does leave a lot to be desired and your willingness to help makes me even more grateful. Thank you. 🥰
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I can confirm that the network reset worked on my hisense roku tv! This happened for the first time just now.. I have had the jetpack for a few days now and was worried..does this happen often using the jetpack? Id like to know what im getting into..
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@Marlo wrote:
I can confirm that the network reset worked on my hisense roku tv! This happened for the first time just now.. I have had the jetpack for a few days now and was worried..does this happen often using the jetpack? Id like to know what im getting into..

Not particularly common for any specific device. It's just the first thing to try when you're having network connectivity issues. Glad it worked. Smiley Happy

Dan
0 Kudos