Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RiverGuy369
Reel Rookie

Dorm/hotel connect not allowing enough time to type in credentials before loading wifi

Hello, I am an IT manager at an RV resort with an internet network that requires a login site to be reached. I have ran into a problem several times with using dorm and hotel connect, where when going through the process and connecting to the roku device network (to type in credentials on iphone) the roku device starts testing connection on its own before I can even type in the password to roku network. I find myself trying to “race against the roku”to try to connect to the roku network on my iPhone. I have connected and used this feature many times and this problem has happened a lot is there any solution? FYI I mostly am setting up new devices and some work fine but most have this issue but even for setup devices I have had this problem. So I end up just using Mac addresses to add them to the network but should not have to.

The roku is not prompted to start testing the network and it starts testing the network on its own before I can sign into network and have been trying to do this over and over for about an hour before giving up, I believe it is a software issue with the roku devices.

3 REPLIES 3
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Dorm/hotel connect not allowing enough time to type in credentials before loading wifi

@RiverGuy369

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that the Hotel & Dorm Connect feature on Roku devices will only work on devices that have already been activated.

For more information about the Hotel & Dorm Connect feature, visit our Support page here: Hotel & Dorm Connect

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Dorm/hotel connect not allowing enough time to type in credentials before loading wifi

@RiverGuy369 

Since what you wrote reads that you haven't already set up the Roku devices, you can use a cellular hotspot to do the initial setup, then once that's done, the hotel/dorm connection will work.

Or, since you are managing the WiFi network, temporarily add a standard wireless network (that doesn't require the prompts) to set up the Roku devices. Just come up with a good password for the time the temp net is running.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Delegator
Channel Surfer

I am running into this right now with a Roku Mini that has previously worked just fine at many hotels. At my current one, I have less than 2 seconds to join the Direct-roku-xxxxxxxxx wifi and enter the password before it times out and starts over. And my smartphone can't even connect to the Roku in that amount of time.

This unit has already been set up, and has been previously used in this manner. What would have changed to suddenly cause this timeout problem?