Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Dorm/Hotel interim connection only lasts a few seconds

I'm trying to use dorm/hotel connection feature to connect to a wireless hotspot with a captured portal.  The only problem is, the interim connection provided by the Roku (Express) to allow my device browser to complete the steps only lasts 5 seconds, nowhere near long enough for me to load the login page and login to my hotspot account.

Instructions here: https://support.roku.com/article/215058118

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Level 7

Re: Dorm/Hotel interim connection only lasts a few seconds

I know the first response is going to be "update your roku" so of course I've already checked and made sure it's updated.

0 Kudos
Level 19

I don't know how "with a captured portal" affects this, but ...

When I use the wifi hotspot on my phones, the hotspot's net name (e.g. it's SSID) is shown on my Rokus' list of available networks along with all the other available nets so all I need to do is select it and enter the password.  The Hotel & Dorm function isn't used at all.

Hotel & Dorm is used when you need to enter both a Username and Password on a web page via a web browser in order to connect, like in many hotels.  If that's not what you need to do in your situation, maybe Hotel & Dorm senses that quickly and shuts down.  (??)

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Level 7

Thanks for replying.

Sorry, the term is "captive portal" -- that's the web page you're talking about that you need to login to at a hotel to authorize your machine.  I know in my case it works off the MAC address of the device so you login once, and from then on it remembers that MAC and lets you on no problem.

Since Roku doesn't have a browser to negotiate the captive portal it opens its own wifi connection, and has you connect through it to login.

My issue is that time it gives me to do anything is extremely short before the Roku shuts down the signal and just decides it's not working.  I'm hoping someone else knows something about this issue.  I only bought the Roku about a month ago, and have everything updated.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Just a little follow-up... I happened to get another Roku Express, and this one seems to be working fine in this area.  I'm able to authenticate through the captive portal with my laptop just fine.

0 Kudos