Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
camry
Level 7

Does Ultra 4660 remote function with Ethernet only?

I have a wired LAN — all ethernet, no wifi at all. I want to purchase the Roku Ultra 4660 because it has an ethernet port, but will the supplied remote function in the absence of a wifi network?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Does Ultra 4660 remote function with Ethernet only?

"camry" wrote:
I have a wired LAN — all ethernet, no wifi at all. I want to purchase the Roku Ultra 4660 because it has an ethernet port, but will the supplied remote function in the absence of a wifi network?

Yes
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
camry
Level 7

Re: Does Ultra 4660 remote function with Ethernet only?

"DBDukes" wrote:
"camry" wrote:
I have a wired LAN — all ethernet, no wifi at all. I want to purchase the Roku Ultra 4660 because it has an ethernet port, but will the supplied remote function in the absence of a wifi network?

Yes

Thanks for your help. How does that work, do the Ultra and the remote establish their own sort of "mini network"?
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

Re: Does Ultra 4660 remote function with Ethernet only?

"camry" wrote:
"DBDukes" wrote:
"camry" wrote:
I have a wired LAN — all ethernet, no wifi at all. I want to purchase the Roku Ultra 4660 because it has an ethernet port, but will the supplied remote function in the absence of a wifi network?

Yes

Thanks for your help. How does that work, do the Ultra and the remote establish their own sort of "mini network"?


Yes. It creates a WiFi direct connection between the box and the remote. If you want no wifi at all in your house, then this is not a product for you.
0 Kudos
NightHawk
Level 7

Re: Does Ultra 4660 remote function with Ethernet only?

"camry" wrote:
Thanks for your help. How does that work, do the Ultra and the remote establish their own sort of "mini network"?

Yes, exactly.
Roku Ultra 4640R, Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810R
0 Kudos
camry
Level 7

Re: Does Ultra 4660 remote function with Ethernet only?

Just wanted to report, the Ultra 4660 is fantastic on an Ethernet connection. We are on ATT's lowest internet tier, ~6 mb/s and there is no buffering, just great picture and audio. Highly pleased.

The voice search feature on the remote is pretty cool too. "Babylon 5" ... and up it pops. Neat. Glad I decided to go this route. ROKU FTW.
0 Kudos