Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Does Roku support 5g

My internet supports both 24g and 5g Both show up on my I pad and I can select which I want When I check Roku connectivity only 24g shows as a choice along with neighbors net links Why doesn’t the 5g link show up? Can I someway add the 5g manually?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Does Roku support 5g

5G is a cellular service. You are asking about 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi, using the 802.11 protocol. Yes, some Roku devices do support 5 GHz. Of the currently available models, only the Streaming Stick+ (model 3810) and the Ultra LT (4662) and Ultra (4670) are dual band. Some of the larger Roku TVs are also dual band, but it varies by manufacturer and screen size. 

No, you can't add 5 GHz support to an existing single band device. the actual hardware radio inside the Roku has to support both bands, and it's not replaceable. What model Roku do you have?

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 17

And t wont be any better if you dont have the latest hardware.

I suppose I should start saying 5ghz instead of 5G.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@boogernose wrote:

I suppose I should start saying 5ghz instead of 5G.

Yeah, it does help keeping the labels correct. There may come a day that Roku has a player with a 5G modem built in, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it. Smiley Very Happy

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 17

Yeah, that aint happening...............

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos