Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zumstegxo
Level 7

Do I need a router?

I have an xfinity account that allows me to use WiFi anywhere as long as I’m logged in with my username & password. Do I need a physical router to connect my Roku tv to the xfinity WiFi? Every time I try to enter my password for xfinity WiFi on my tv, it says there is no wireless connection. I really don’t want to have to get a whole router just to connect my tv.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Do I need a router?

The password for your wireless isn't your Xfinity password to the best of my knowledge. The default password is usually on a sticker on the box, or if you have a computer connected you should be able to access the control panel and see what it is there. Their WiFi Anywhere function is different than your internal home wireless connection. The Anywhere access probably does use your Xfinity user name and password, but my guess is that a Roku can't use that function since there's no way to enter a user name from the Roku itself. I don't have Xfinity so have no personal experience with it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos