Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kjock
Level 7

Do I Need to Upgrade My Router

I've posted this under "Device Features" without response so thought I would try here in case we have a network problem rather than a device problem.

We have a Roku Ultra 4800 connected via HDMI to a 1080p TV which is hardwired to a switch hardwired to a rock solid Asus AC66U router hardwired to a 1-Gbps Hitron modem leased from Midco with a 100 Mbps service.  The Roku has never reported a speed less than 74 Mbps and is normally reports as speed between 80-90 Mbps. 

The problem is that several times a month, on no particular schedule, the Roku locks-up, then the TV shows a full panel of color pixels before eventually going to the bouncing Roku page.  This happens on the Roku, Sling, and A-Prime apps equally.  Streaming is also interrupted several times by the "Loading" bar during a movie, and the "spinning buffering wheel" shows up every time we change apps or to a different show within the same app.  The few other wireless and wired devices on our network work perform without issue. 

Roku support repeatedly ran me through the typical troubleshooting procedure (changing cables, ports, hard/soft resets, installing/uninstalling apps, ...) none of which ever changed a thing.  Roku support won't say the issue is with our network, only that it's not an issue with their device or their HDMI cable.  On the other hand, after similar troubleshooting with Asus, it says it's not their router but, if we upgrade from a router with a single-core processor to a newer quad-core router with more RAM and lower latency, the issues we have streaming might be lessened.

QUESTIONS ---

1)  Are the issues we have with streaming normal????

2)  Has anyone upgraded their router and found their streaming quality improved (using an ethernet not a wireless connection)????

3)  Does does anyone know if the latest Roku firmware (?...4195 ..?) supports both low-level dolby vision (LLDV) and dolby vision ????   

Thanks and sorry for repeating myself

process 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Do I Need to Upgrade My Router

Is that normal? No. To me it sounds like there might be overheating issues. Perhaps try relocated the Ultra that might give it a bit more space, if possible. I have a 4800 hard wired, and I have never seen that happen. Even my other devices, which are almost all connected wirelessly, has never shown that. And if course it's always possible there's a defect in the player hardware.

I've never heard of LLDV, and haven't seen any such mention. I know mine does fine with whatever version of DV that is used with the online sources (Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+, Vudu) that I use. 

I just did a search for LLDV, and found nothing online. I did find a mention of a Dolby Vision Low Latency version, but that article was from 2019, so not something new. I have no idea if the 4800 supports this Low Latency version, or even if anyone in particular is using it. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Kjock
Level 7

Thanks atc98092 -- It helps to know that our experience is not the norm. 

The Roku is in use most of the day, has always sat unobstructed on top of the TV stand with nothing around it, and it has not felt hot to the touch on the rare occasion I've touched it.  Nevertheless, I've now placed an old Amish iron potholder with an open grid under the Roku raising it up 1/2" off the stand to give it more air circulation. It used to do the trick for an HDHomerun tuner that ran hot, so maybe it will help with the Roku - I'll update in a couple of days.

Re LDDV, we'll be getting a last year's model Sony 4k TV this week.  One of it's quirks is that it does not use 'TV lead DV' but rather 'Device lead DV' so for it to play DV from any external device, the device must support both DV and LDDV.  Apparently Sony's 2021 models now use TV lead DV so LDDV is not required on external devices.

If we find a good sale for a router we may upgrade away but, I don't expect it will change the problem we have streaming on the Roku.  That may have to be resolved by switching to the new TVs internal apps and foresaking use of the Roku.  I hate this option but, at least it's an option.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Don't discount the chance that it's actually a hardware failure. My Ultra 4800 works perfectly in almost the same conditions as yours, as it sits on top of a computer. Yours has to still be under warranty, so if it persists, you should get it exchanged. From what I've heard, Roku is pretty good about taking care of warranty replacements. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos